Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hole in Wooden Exterior Door Jam

Hello All From Fredericksburg, VA
I just bought a home built in 1975. In spite of having the home inspected, I'm discovering a few things I need to address.
I just noticed the wooden sliding glass door has a large hole in it on the exterior which is pretty substantial. Hole in Wooden Exterior Door Jam-016.jpg I can't afford to replace the door now but would like to fill it with something to prevent further damage.

Is there an epoxy I can use?

Thanking you in advance.

momof2labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

There are several varieties of wood filler or epoxy you can use. In all cases, it is necessary to remove rotten wood to get back to reasonably good condition wood. If it is impossible to find decent wood, you can try using wood hardener (a liquid designed to harden rotten wood) as a temporary fix for the rotten wood.

Personally I have had pretty good luck with Minwax two part epoxy filler. A little pricey, but it is easy to work with. It sounds like you understand that filling the door is a temporary fix, but it might hold you for a year or two.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
There are several varieties of wood filler or epoxy you can use. In all cases, it is necessary to remove rotten wood to get back to reasonably good condition wood. If it is impossible to find decent wood, you can try using wood hardener (a liquid designed to harden rotten wood) as a temporary fix for the rotten wood.

Personally I have had pretty good luck with Minwax two part epoxy filler. A little pricey, but it is easy to work with. It sounds like you understand that filling the door is a temporary fix, but it might hold you for a year or two.
Hi Daniel:
Thanks for your quick response.

I have always had good luck with Minwax. When you're fixing a serious problem, the expense is secondary. I also saw Gorilla is making an epoxy for wood, too. That's the one I bought but haven't used it yet so I may return it.

I went to Lowe's and got an estimate for replacement doors. The SLD would cost about $2500 plus $500-700 or so for installation. (There's 2 double SGD side by side). Needless to say, I won't be using this home inspector again.

Warm Regards from Fredericksburg, VA
Donna
momof2labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

It is not that hard to do yourself for a glass door. With some skill you could actually take the door apart and make a new piece on a router table.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,294

Something that old, and that bad, it is easier to replace the door. Repairing it will slow the process, but the door still needs to be replaced in the long run.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Windows & Dogs

Rewards Points: 10

does the door slide right now with all that rot? It looks like it's rotted where the rollers are. We've been using Car Bond-O for wood repairs for many years. Lowe's has it, so does pep-boys

Taylor Rae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wood filler, wood rot