Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Hole in wall w/ stress cracks... lots of detailed pics (NOT 56k connection friendly)

So, straight to the point, there's a hole in my wall. Just barely small enough for an 8x8 (if cut) Wall Repair Patch to cover completely.

I'm not concerned with the sturdiness, just getting it replaced and *looking* normal is my concern. It's a commercial address, and I'll be moving out by the end of this month, hopefully sans (visible) holes & cracks.

The first thing to get to here is making sure the transition between the drywall and the corner edge correct. I'm thinking just a whole lot of painters' putty will be needed (which I have).

The secondary are the stress cracks on the opposite side. Because of the backing of the drywall (or complete lack thereof... seriously, there's not even insulation back there), applying even the light-weight putty proved difficult because the wall reacted to pressure too easily, so if the wall was even bumped after applying & drying, it would show through. I was thinking some kind of tape to keep it together would prove useful, but didn't realize drywall tape needed a sort of mud until AFTER i bought it. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

The pictures are below, any help in this matter is GREATLY appreciated...

ps; the 'texture' of the paint isn't much of a concern, as it's just a result of whatever estranged fiberboard or paste between the drywall and paint itself, along with some serious layering. I counted nearly three layers of the same paint on one of the chips already.

The Problem...
-The hole in all its holey glory

-Opposite side stress cracks...

The Arsenal...

Thaipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #2

Hole in wall w/ stress cracks... lots of detailed pics (NOT 56k connection friendly)

*Okay, sorry if it wasn't quite clear above. Pretty much the overall question is just how I would go about doing this.

I know how to apply the patch, and get the putty over it smoothly, as I've done this much before. But getting the rest of it is proving difficult for me to figure out.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi,

To be honest with you: that really is a very easy fix/repair.

Chip out or remove any loose cracked drywall parts.

Fill in those areas with compound.

Let dry, scrape or sand smooth.

Attach paper tape using compound per standard use/application.

Layer the paper tape over the holes and cracks to form a proper patch.

Allow to dry.

Coat...allow to dry (sand if your coat is not smooth)

Re-coat...allow to dry (again - sand if your coating methods are not smooth)

Coat, yet again if you feel you need to.

After drying, sand....

Prime and paint.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #4

Example of what you can do by properly filling, taping, and coating:

Total crap-olla:

Repair phase: using only tape and compound;

Final (before sanding):

Really, you can patch anything if you use the tape and compound properly...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Fill in those areas with compound.

Let dry, scrape or sand smooth.

Attach paper tape using compound per standard use/application.

Layer the paper tape over the holes and cracks to form a proper patch.
Mind elaborating on these parts in particular?

-Do I have the correct compound/what sort do I need
-The 'tape' has no sticky side, it's to be used with drywall mud. Should I consider this method, despite how the stress cracks on the opposite side seem relatively minor?
-Should I bother with the Wall Repair Patch?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaipo View Post
Mind elaborating on these parts in particular?

-Do I have the correct compound/what sort do I need
-The 'tape' has no sticky side, it's to be used with drywall mud. Should I consider this method, despite how the stress cracks on the opposite side seem relatively minor?
-Should I bother with the Wall Repair Patch?

Thanks for your reply.
Your best bet is to NOT use any of the patching products that you have pictured.

Use an ''Easy Sand'' quick dry mix...in a bag. Something like a 45 or 90 minute product. After scraping the loose existing damaged peices of drywall off of the wall.......... mix the eazy sand...... and use it to fill in the gaps and cracks.

Once it has set up, scrape it smooth with 6" putty knife. Repeat the process.

Use a redimix product out of a bucket for the final smooth coat.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #7

Sounds simple enough... though I'm still concerned about getting that hole plugged up (there's nothing behind the drywall, and there are chunks missing)

Simply have-at the quick dry mix to plug it up, and go from there?

As for the redimix, just use that as well for the stress cracks?

Sorry for the continual questions... I'd much rather be thorough about this than sorry. Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

if there's nothing back there...when you remove the loose "chunks" work a small piece of plywood in, hold with a couple of screws...and it'll be good to finish.

What hit that wall so hard anyway?
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Sounds simple enough... though I'm still concerned about getting that hole plugged up (there's nothing behind the drywall, and there are chunks missing)
Simply have-at the quick dry mix to plug it up, and go from there?
After you scrape off any loose pieces, coat with the ''eazy-sand'' quick dry mix, as you coat, make sure that you get some into the hole. Allow it to dry. When it dries, there may be a little hump there. Scrape it flat.
Use more eazy sand or reddie mix and tape. Apply the tape (per standard application) to the hole. Coat over the hole with the tape, over-lap the tape to create a wide enough patch. That hole is only about 1" or so, it can be coated without having to patch it with sheetrock - if you do it right. If you look at the pic I posted with the door frame. We didn't use any sheetrock to repair that gap next to the door frame. We used quick dry mix - with the method described already Then mesh tape and 3 -4 coats of compound.

Quote:
As for the redimix, just use that as well for the stress cracks?
Yes, but make sure that you paper tape the cracks first. If you don't paper tape the cracks and just coat tehm ,they WILL crack again.

Rules:

Use paper tape or mesh tape with the quick dry mix.

Only use paper tape with the reddie-mix (out of the bucket)