Hole In Stucco And Two Leaking Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Hole in stucco and two leaking windows

I have a wall with four windows, two large that were replacement vinyl windows with two smaller original framed windows above them. I've had lots of water leaking in that I've traced to the top of the lower large windows. It seems to be coming in dead center at the top. I've removed one of them and reinstalled it thinking it was a problem with the silicone seal to the stucco.

I also found a large hole in the stucco (see pictures) and it looks like the tar paper has some holes in it. Since it's right up against the roof and gutter I thought I'd try putting the Henry wet seal to fix the holes as I didn't think I could get to replacing the tar paper. My next step was to repair the stucco hole with stucco patch but since it still seems to be leaking water in, I'm not sure if I should do that yet. I think the stucco would absorb water and it may still get into the wall.

As far as the windows leaking at the top, the hole is at the base of the top window, so maybe it's running down to the others?

Any ideas on how to fix the tar paper problem without easy access to it?

Advertisement

ab3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

Re: Hole in stucco and two leaking windows

Pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Hole in stucco and two leaking windows-img_4158.jpg   Hole in stucco and two leaking windows-img_4160.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

By the way, the brown flashing there was how the roofer installed the new roof a while back.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,606

Need a picture of the windows.

If they are showing a leak above the window, it is from a connection to the stucco. If the leak is showing on the side and near the bottom, it could be from that damage on the side.

Regardless, that gutter needs to be removed and that stucco repaired.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Here's some photos of the windows, I also took one of the top center on the outside and from inside the house where it is leaking. You can see the original frame and the window flange.

I've been trying to fix this for a long time now, earlier attempts I thought maybe it was leaking from the top of the original frame so I put silicone across that as well. Most recently I put the DAP stucco patch product to try and fill any voids around any of the windows or cracks in the wall (this really stands out after it rains like in the picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Hole in stucco and two leaking windows-img_4162.jpg   Hole in stucco and two leaking windows-img_4163.jpg   Hole in stucco and two leaking windows-img_4164.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,606

You need a person that is well versed in stucco repairs.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 122

Roof rakes next to a wall are tricky under best of circumstaances , and the person who designed a window next to the rake should be drawn & quartered!

You will find comprehensive info on how a rake-wall intersections should be flashed at Journal of Light Construction or Fine Homebuilding, but many of their forums & articles are behind a paywall.

A "kick out" to divert rainwater running down the rake, into the gutter, is essential, and again the devil is in the details.

"henry seal", "stucco patch", etc, are at best temporary solutions to get you thru 1 rainy season. Correct flashing is what's critical.
Adam_Reith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 52

Order a moisture meter online from Home Depot for $40, use it on your sheetrock inside around the windows, if you have a hole that large in your stucco you have mold and rot in your wall cavities - if that moisture meter beeps off the hook, you're looking at mold remediation and if that is the weather wall where wind driven rain hits it, don't have it re-stucco'd go with siding but make sure you install it with a rain screen gap at least 3/8". If you re-stucco like I did, you'll be going through mold remediation again in a few years.
Stucco soaks up water and on a weather wall it's just too much for stucco to take especially if that wall has windows/doors, it WILL find it's way in. That discoloration on your stucco is moisture under the stucco and building paper can't hold back that much moisture. I'm almost sure you're looking at re-doing that wall but it's a waste of time to re-do with the same components. I've been through this.

Last edited by Glanz; 02-10-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Glanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 122

Not to unduly or unnecessarily alarm you, but here's examples and pics of horrific rot damage, caused by moisture buildup behind stucco, that was unable to dry out:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...nclude-air-gap

In Woodbury, Minnesota, 1/2 the homes built in 1990s had severe rot from incorrectly detailed stucco application. On some of the homes, incorrect repair work also failed the 2nd time.

Advertisement

Adam_Reith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam_Reith For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-11-2017)