Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #1

Share |

Hole in my dryer duct...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and needed some advice.

I was installing some closet shelving today and I ended up drilling a 1/2 inch hole in my dryer exhaust ducting. On the other side of the closet wall are my washer and dryer. I was drilling some holes when I noticed some metal shavings. I turned on the washer and dryer and sure enough there was warm air blowing out of the hole. I shut off the dryer and the air stopped. I looked in the attic above the wall and I could see the dryer duct is rectangular and it goes out the roof.

It looks like the wall consists of drywall, some insulation, wood, and then the duct. I was wondering what I should do to plug the hole. Is it a fire hazard? Should I have a professional come fix it? Being a novice, I'm not sure if I should start cutting away drywall and trying to fix it myself.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
QuattroStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #2

Hole in my dryer duct...

usually they leave a way to access those vents. they don't last forever. i would try to get it out and replace the whole thing. is it a hose or a solid pipe? if you do have to cut and replace drywall do it yourself. it is a cheap and easy fix. there are a few ways to do it. let me know if you can get it out what the material is and i can assist.
chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
timthetoolman

Hole in my dryer duct...

Is it really necessary to replace the whole thing because of a tiny hole? I wouldn't think so. Maybe cut drywall out around that hole patch with epoxy and screw a lil piece of sheet metal over the hole and epoxy. Follow it up with a piece of aluminum tape and walaaa! Hole is no more of a concern.
timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #4

Hole in my dryer duct...

I can see the duct in my attic and it's solid. I can't really access the duct from the attic because its in a remote corner and there is all kinds of other ducts in the way. I also asked a friend of mine and he recommended doing the drywall cut and patching the hole with some sheet metal.

I'll probably try to patch it and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.
QuattroStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #5

Hole in my dryer duct...

yeah if it's a solid piece i would just patch it i wasn't sure if it was an aluminum hose. pulling and patching when you can't reach them can lead to it hooking a nail or something. good idea.
chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #6

Hole in my dryer duct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroStylez View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and needed some advice.

I was installing some closet shelving today and I ended up drilling a 1/2 inch hole in my dryer exhaust ducting. On the other side of the closet wall are my washer and dryer. I was drilling some holes when I noticed some metal shavings. I turned on the washer and dryer and sure enough there was warm air blowing out of the hole. I shut off the dryer and the air stopped. I looked in the attic above the wall and I could see the dryer duct is rectangular and it goes out the roof.

It looks like the wall consists of drywall, some insulation, wood, and then the duct. I was wondering what I should do to plug the hole. Is it a fire hazard? Should I have a professional come fix it? Being a novice, I'm not sure if I should start cutting away drywall and trying to fix it myself.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Just curious, What kind of closet shelving requires a 1/2" hole? how far away from the dryer is the hole? I would since your only talking a 1/2 " hole using a squirt of fire stop caulking in hole and spackle over.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Eibwen

Hole in my dryer duct...

Open up the drywall enough to get at the 1/2 hole in the duct.

Cut a square piece of aluminum/sheet metal to cover the hole and attach with some short sheet metal screws and seal with some mastic for duct work.

Run the dryer and check for leaks.

Hang picture over the 1/2 inch hole or repair the drywall.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote