Hole For Basement Bathroom Vent Location - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hole for basement bathroom vent location

Just wanted some opinions on cutting the 4" hole for bathroom vent. I was going to relocated the outside water gate valve and just make the 4" hole in that location. Just wanted to make sure that it is ok to do this in this location marked in red. It's not a joist so not sure if the D/6 rule applies when boring in the outside wall plate.
Attached Thumbnails
hole for basement bathroom vent location-img_0086.jpg  

Advertisement

jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would have little concern about putting the hole for the vent through the rim joist. It is done that way all the time. Boring rules could still be applied but the rim joist isn't in span so as long as you aren't drilling under a load point (trimmer studs supporting a window header, etc) you're good.

I'd recommend a circular hole just to be safe though.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #3

Thanks,

It isn't under load point such as you mentioned windows etc. This is just the outside wall rim joist. I figured that it must be done like this just didn't know how you would get around it if they hole boring code applied for a none span joist 2x8. Thanks.
jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,020

Make sure to insulate it, so moisture won't condense in the pipe before it goes out.

Question: Is the joist over the plastic tubing sticker tag - - sagging? It may be my eyes. If so, I'd lift it flush and put a hanger on.

Be safe, GBAR
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Extensions

it will be better to use an adaptor instead of 4 inch hole. However - to me it looks like a load wall bearing and if it is - then it is safe to do it.
extensions is offline   Reply With Quote