Hockey Rink In Barn - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hockey Rink in Barn

Just built a barn with a concrete pad... Live in Canada and of course the first question my daughter/son asked was "Can we make a hockey rink in the barn"

Would this be a bad move? Would it ruin the concrete? Was thinking of putting down some poly to protect the concrete.

Thoughts/ideas?

Advertisement

fjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Hockey Rink in Barn

That concept has been used for many, many years in Northern Minnesota towns where an unheated building with a concrete floor became the hockey rink. Doors were opened and the rink was scraped and flooded lightly almost every night and doors at each end were closed an hour or two later after enough cold air got in.

It has the advantage that the good ice season is much longer because the longer days and the sun cut the outside ice life. Here (Minneapolis/St. Paul) outdoor ice usually cannot be maintained after February 15-20 and in the north it may hold for another week, but a covered building with doors has a later life.

You don't need thick ice (1"-2" is OK), but thicker ice build-up may last a little longer.

Your situation may be different since most of the people in Canada live south of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #3

Hockey Rink in Barn

My only concern is ruining the concrete pad... just paranoid since it is brand new....is there any concern with ruining the pad?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Hockey Rink in Barn

What part are you worried about?

The extra weight?

The skates scratching thru into the slab?

Keeping the concrete frozen all winter?

Oh, and how old is this "new" slab?
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #5

Hockey Rink in Barn

What part are you worried about?

The extra weight? not really

The skates scratching thru into the slab? not really

Keeping the concrete frozen all winter? a little bit, not sure if it will make concrete brittle, or make it crack

Oh, and how old is this "new" slab? September 2010 poured

Lots of gravel underneath... 4-6 inches of concrete
Old 12-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Hockey Rink in Barn

Then you should be fine on all accounts. The ice (believe it or not) can actually benefit the slab, by protecting it from multiple freeze/thaw cycles through-out the winter.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #7

Hockey Rink in Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Then you should be fine on all accounts. The ice (believe it or not) can actually benefit the slab, by protecting it from multiple freeze/thaw cycles through-out the winter.
Now having lawnmowers/tables/propane tanks in 2 inches of frozen ice can be a problem...
Old 12-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Hockey Rink in Barn

First of all, love the idea!!!! I have a backyard rink myself.

How big is the barn? Can the things inside be put to one side? You could easily put a 2x6 on edge and flood inside it a few times to seal it up , then you won't have any water on the other things in there till spring.

Then you could add some sheathing for temporary boards, put in some lines on the ice, a couple nets, score board, bleachers, rink side bar/lounge.......okay, getting carried away. Make room for the homemade zamboni and keep your stick on the ice.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #9

Hockey Rink in Barn

The barn is 30x20.... would it matter if I only flooded part of it... would that affect the concrete, being that only part of it would be covered by ice? Or am I worrying too much about the concrete?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Hockey Rink in Barn

there is nothing special about the concrete in real ice rinks.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Hockey Rink in Barn

Don't worry about the load from the ice (which is minimal and not like a roof load).

The difference between normal slab concrete and ice rink concrete is that the rink concrete is more level (not just flat) and is usually finished with a smoother surface. Of cousre indor articifical rinks are extremely flat, have brine coils below and the ice surface is usually thinner.

Once you have an ice surface, scraping before a very light flooding is necessary to eliminate gouges and ruts. If you have some burlap attached to a 4' long 2x4, this does a good job of finishing off the ice before/as it freezes. Around here, the outdoor rinks on the ice rinks are prepped and flooded and every night even if they are on lakes.

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote