Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Share |

high water table solution

I purchased a house in November of last year during some pretty wet months, now through the winter and spring i've noticed the sump pump never stops, usually around 5-10 minute cycle times. I've researched through the search engine hear about high water tables, which must be my problem. I have extensions on my evetroughs, and the yard could use some grading, but during dry spells of up to 7 days, the water is as constant as it is during a couple of wet days. A couple of things i've looked at so far

-as stated extensions for evetroughs clear the yard over 15 feet
-tried extending float on pump but running water over weeping tile inlet into sump pit worries me.
-also as stated the yard in some spots does flow towards house, but would this still be my problem during dry spells ?
-Have noticed now (wish i would have before purchasing) that both houses on either side of me sit higher

If anyone would have an idea or suggestion to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

andwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

There is nothing you can do, when you have a high water table. All you can do, is make sure that you have a extra sump on hand, in case the other one goes, along with also having some type of back up solution in case you lose power. Plus make sure that your insurance company covers you for any type of water damage that may happen in the basement (ie sewer backup, sump fails, broken water pipe, etc.).

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Post some pictures, your there looking at it were not.

Regrading would go a long ways, adding a french drain, waterproofing the foundation on the outside, making sure there not mulch piled up againt the foundation are all things you could do to fix it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

There is no solution for a high water table.

If you are really cycling 5-10 minutes though, there has to be something else going on. Where does your sump pump go? Out thru the wall then where?

You mentioned houses on either side of you so I'm guessing you live in a sub-division. If you live in one that was started 15-20 years ago I'd just about guarantee you that your sump pump exits your house, goes under ground for about a foot and empties into a pea gravel pit. Pretty much creating a nice little loop, you pump it out, it drains thru the pea gravel and right back into the sump pit. That is why even in dry spells your pump is cycling, it never has a chance to drain into the ground.

Talk to your neighbors, find out how quickly theirs are cycling. Ask to see them. Are they bigger than yours (ie deeper/wider). You just bought the house, after talking with them you may find out that the previous owner did something to create the issue you are having. IE removing some unsightly drainage ditch pipe...
HalfHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

- The property is in a small group of houses in the country (septic system)
- The sump does exit through the wall and drains about 40' feet outside above ground to a ditch (can see the discharge pipe)
- I spoke two the neighbour to the east of me, who built his home 5 years ago , and it sits about 5 or so feet higher then i do, with two seperate sump holes in his house. He has water increase during the spring but other then that it's normal (cycle a couple of hours if that)

* I forgot to mention that between my neighbours place and mine is a very small (but has constant water) stream,(it's what my sump pump discharge line drains too)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #6

"and it sits about 5 or so feet higher then i do, with two seperate sump holes in his house"

Battery back-up and swap out your sump pump for a constant duty low volume pump. The idea being not to so much to empty the pit but to keep it at a constant lower level? High quality pump should be quieter than a sump pump, or at least something you would get used to (white noise like) as opposed to the constant cycling.

No idea if this would even work let alone be legal code wise.

Or raise the house...

If it were me, I'd find myself a pro who would come out for a consulting fee (refundable if I hire him) to give me some ideas.
HalfHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

yes, even though the neighbour is oh about 40 yards away from my house he is around 3-5 feet higher elevation then i am.