Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Is this a high quote? Price of a slab foundation

HI all,

I just moved to Faulkner county Arkansas about 40 miles from Little Rock. I am in the process of getting quotes on a job for a workshop 18x20.

Here are the areas to get quotes and so far have gotten a few back in.
  1. Slab & Dirt - 18x20 $4900.00
  2. Framer - so far a quote of $2.65 sq. foot
  3. Plumber - 1200.00 for a sink and just toilet - not running the line for the toilet to the septic tank. This includes basic utility sink and toilet too. Later I want to get a line ran to my septic about 100 ft. away.
  4. Electrician - 2500.00 this includes 2 boxes and 220 for aircondition unit and 9 plugs and overhead wiring for a ceiling fan.
  5. Brick - I need to brick 50% of the front to go along with the materials and basic design of my house.
  6. Siding - same siding should be used on this building but not required
  7. Insulation -
  8. Sheet rock-
  9. Materials for framing, windows and door.
I am going to finish getting the quotes but I have to say the foundation is going to be laid with concrete block as the frame and then filled and a slab poured. This just sounds like it is pricey and out of wack.

Do any of you have some pointers or tips to help me recognize an over priced quote??

I have a budget of $17000.00 So far I have spent about $9600.00 before buying one 2x4 or lighting.

I could use all the help I can get.

Thank you,
Paula

update: I just called a local concrete company. It will take 5yards at $81 a yard total $405.00.

This leaves $4495.00 for framing and materials ie. concrete blocks and labor for digging and leveling. My lot is pretty flat as it is. So, it should not take that much work.

Last edited by pauls; 10-27-2008 at 11:19 AM.
pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #2

I can't believe the framer's labor quote is so low...Less than $1000 wouldn't be enough to justify the work for most crews.
Your materials alone will be thousands...
What about a roof?

I can't see you doing the remaining parts of this project for your budget, if you're paying contractors to do it.

DIY Chatroom is a DIY site, and is better suited to helping you do the work yourself than we are to reviewing contractors' prices for projects we haven't seen. Therefore, threads like this are discouraged since they are not DIY related.

The best advice is to get a few bids for each scope of work.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #3

Yes, I understand dyi but I am trying to see if I need to do this myself. Even though I put down the list for insulator and drywall, I know we will be doing the drywall and insulation ourselves.

Its the slab that is really in question. This will not be a dyi.

Thank you and sorry if I am in the wrong place. I will look to see where I can find out some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I can't believe the framer's labor quote is so low...Less than $1000 wouldn't be enough to justify the work for most crews.
Your materials alone will be thousands...
What about a roof?

I can't see you doing the remaining parts of this project for your budget, if you're paying contractors to do it.

DIY Chatroom is a DIY site, and is better suited to helping you do the work yourself than we are to reviewing contractors' prices for projects we haven't seen. Therefore, threads like this are discouraged since they are not DIY related.

The best advice is to get a few bids for each scope of work.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #4

The slab can be a DIY project - do it most all yourself, except of hiring a experienced concrete guy to be there at the pour and to do the finishing.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
wilderstyle

Hey, I don't know about prices in Arkansas. I am in Calif. But I do know you can check out any contractor with their license #. You log on to your contractor state license board and their will be an area for checking out contractors or business. It will let you know of the license is up to date and anything is outstanding against them, such as price gouging complaints. A bad cement job as a foundation is not worth messing it up, based on the cost of cement alone.
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #6

Why don't you get a better drawn plans of what you want and get prices to build the job complete turn key...Like if you have a bathroom you need it hooked up to the septic and to run a water line to it...Pipes need be set before you pour the concrete...If your going to use a A/C unit you need look at how and what you plan to use to insulate the building to help the unit work better...Where will the power supply come from and who will run it...In side and out side lights needed...Will you need a heater in the bathroom in winter ?? Will you built faming in place or use a truss system on your roof...What size ,type and thickness materials will you use on the walls and roof ?

And the big question I have is where did you get the $17,000.00 budget figure from ??

There is a lot more to doing and knowing what your doing than just getting a quote on concrete material cost...What type was it ? Was there any under load charge or time you could have the truck on site before you were charged more ?? Is re-bar or insulation and gravel going in and under the slab ?? How thick is the slad to be ? Do you need a bricklayer to install the brick blocks around you spoke of doing and will he need a footer to lay the blocks on ??

Did you get a building permit for this job yet or know what they will want or let you do there ??

You need to look at these issues and see if you have yourself covered...Good luck...
Lansing

Last edited by Lansing; 10-28-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #7

I have 17,000 saved to spend. I have plans a simple 18x20 with a 6 12 pitch roof.

I do have most of what you are speaking already figured out. We live out of city limits and no permit for building is necessary but a plumbing permit is.

Thank you for bringing these points up. I do realized I may need to go over budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansing View Post
Why don't you get a better drawn plans of what you want and get prices to build the job complete turn key...Like if you have a bathroom you need it hooked up to the septic and to run a water line to it...Pipes need be set before you pour the concrete...If your going to use a A/C unit you need look at how and what you plan to use to insulate the building to help the unit work better...Where will the power supply come from and who will run it...In side and out side lights needed...Will you need a heater in the bathroom in winter ?? Will you built faming in place or use a truss system on your roof...What size ,type and thickness materials will you use on the walls and roof ?

And the big question I have is where did you get the $17,000.00 budget figure from ??

There is a lot more to doing and knowing what your doing than just getting a quote on concrete material cost...What type was it ? Was there any under load charge or time you could have the truck on site before you were charged more ?? Is re-bar or insulation and gravel going in and under the slab ?? How thick is the slad to be ? Do you need a bricklayer to install the brick blocks around you spoke of doing and will he need a footer to lay the blocks on ??

Did you get a building permit for this job yet or know what they will want or let you do there ??

You need to look at these issues and see if you have yourself covered...Good luck...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
General Contractor

As an GC, I can tall you $10 a sq/ft for the slab, in your area, is a little excessive.

Now, what you could and should do is call a few construction contractors, and ask for a price on an unfinished shell. You are trying to stay in budget but going about it the wrong way. This is a great example of where a general contractor can cost you a little and save you a lot.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #9

thank you. I am currently in the process of getting two more quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
As an GC, I can tall you $10 a sq/ft for the slab, in your area, is a little excessive.

Now, what you could and should do is call a few construction contractors, and ask for a price on an unfinished shell. You are trying to stay in budget but going about it the wrong way. This is a great example of where a general contractor can cost you a little and save you a lot.