Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

hidden decking fastners, decent alternatives to tigerclaw?

Sorry, seems like it would be a common topic but didn't come up with to much.

I have a 12x20 and its going to cost around $400 for fastners. Oh my that is expensive.

Do we have reasonable other options that are proven to be a good product.

I looked up some reviews for camo loc stuff, and people don't like the idea for a side mount screw. they also didn't like the 3/16 gap being it was to large, but the tiger claw will have about the same gap.

There 175ct box is $95. covers 100 sq. ft.

that is some serious cheese. anyone have any good suggestions.
I'm will be putting down composite decking solid, may or may not have a grove, if not I may add one with a router.

csmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

That bucket will do a deck twice the size of yours. The product works really well. Maybe you could convince a friend or neighbor to go half with you on the bucket.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I'm thinking about using the CAMO tool when I build my deck have you looked into that?

Seems like all my local lumber yards carry the screws for a reasonable price.
dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

http://invisifast.com/biscuit.php Is a good clip, we use it all the time.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
I'm thinking about using the CAMO tool when I build my deck have you looked into that?

Seems like all my local lumber yards carry the screws for a reasonable price.
I first started by wondering by the camo tool at menards. I did a review and it came up pretty spotty. With a majority vote of not liking the product and its splintering characteristics of a corner driven screw. The price seemed pretty decent. Looking really closely at the screw in the store, the "reverse" thread at the top seemed very...hmmm...slim. As in not a strong design just more of a slight visual its there to please the customer. Just my opinion by looking at it. My lumberyard-not menards. Said a bunch of guys have been using them and seem to like it. So who knows. I didn't like the negitive feedback myself. these boards are freakin expensive.

thanks for the replies. I'm returning my evergrain composite for some PCV coated composite tembertech terrain stuff that seems quiet a bit better, it has groves for the hidden fastners, the other did not.

Last edited by csmonte; 07-21-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: more info
csmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

[/QUOTE]I have a 12x20 and its going to cost around $400 for fasteners. Oh my that is expensive.

Do we have reasonable other options that are proven to be a good product.

There 175ct box is $95. covers 100 sq. ft.

that is some serious cheese. anyone have any good suggestions.
I'm will be putting down composite decking solid, may or may not have a groove, if not I may add one with a router.[/QUOTE]

If you are set on using a hidden fastener, Eb-Ty makes a good one that retails for about $59 for a box of 100. It takes 1.75 fasteners per square foot at the 16" centers you would need for composite decking. I did some quick math and came up with $240 for the Eb-Ty hidden fasteners.

If the up-front cost of the fasteners is the most important consideration for you, perhaps a screw down installation would be a good option. The key benefits of face-screwing decking boards is that it adds a lot of lateral bracing to the entire deck structure.
Chris Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

If you are set on using a hidden fastener, Eb-Ty makes a good one that retails for about $59 for a box of 100. It takes 1.75 fasteners per square foot at the 16" centers you would need for composite decking. I did some quick math and came up with $240 for the Eb-Ty hidden fasteners.

If the up-front cost of the fasteners is the most important consideration for you, perhaps a screw down installation would be a good option. The key benefits of face-screwing decking boards is that it adds a lot of lateral bracing to the entire deck structure.[/QUOTE]

The Tiger Claw also provides lateral bracing by not allowing the deck board any lateral movement.

12x20 deck is 240 sq ft.
Tiger Claw is sold in 50 sq ft bags.
5 bags of stainless steel Tiger Claw are about $250
4 boxes of plastic EbTy $240

A lot less than your original $400 estimate.

ghhartmann is offline   Reply With Quote