Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

Help with Window in Shower

About to redo my bathroom. Plans changed (someone is giving me a nice cast iron tub) and the question is how to address the window that will wind up right next to the showerhead.

Either:

1) get rid of it, it becomes a solid tiled wall
2) change it to vinyl (or not), add a stone stool, and jambs, silicone/varnish the bejeezus out of it
3) leave it as is, paint and caulk real well

I'm leaning towards getting rid of it, but it's the only natural light in the bathroom, and everyone else I've asked thinks I should leave it.

It's high up, and looks out in such a way that no one could every really see me showering, and if they did, they'd see my head only.

If it stays, or gets changed, is there a way to have to open? Seems that would complicate the water management.

A few pics:

2X4 on the floor represents the bathtub, with the window on the other long wall of the tub out of sight around the corner.

Thanks!

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

Get rid of it is my vote.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

Every shower with a window (vinyl, wood, glass block, whatever) that I've ever come across has leaked down into the stud wall under the window. I vote take it out since you're renovating anyway and the wall is already open.
harry_ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

I just did mine with glass block, if I had it to do over again, I would cover it.

It was a huge pain to deal with. I had to build my own trim out of PVC and mount it, paint it, caulk it. (hard to explain, but it was not just a simple trim job)

No matter how much you try not to direct water at it during a shower, you might as well aim the shower head right at it, because the steam condenses on the glass immediately and it gets very, very wet every shower.

So far I think I have it sealed up enough, but over time it is going to leak, I bet.

If you leave it in there and frost the windows so you can't see the substrate you cover it with through it from the outside, I don't think you will be sorry.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 12-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

Move it. If you have a roof over the room, consider a skylight, or even a light tube to get sunlight in while preserving privacy. More complicated would be to move it to a non-shower position. It would cost you some of your foam in place, but aside from the foam, you still have a bare stud wall and it wouldn't be a massive impact to frame in a window. Unless the outside wall is brick or something.

I got rid of a shower window before but I didn't want deal with patching the asbestos shingle siding. So I left the window frame in and the storm window on the outside. Inside the storm window I hung a pleated plastic shower curtain which hid the rigid foam insulation. I drywalled the interior and installed an enclosure. My brother in law bought the house and resided it some years later, when the exterior of the window was eliminated.
mwpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
JOATMON

I would keep the window but replace it with a new one....maybe a casement one? A single window that you can crank out....that essentually makes the frame easier to seal. If you do a proper window sill....no reason water should work it's way down.

Me personally.....not having a window is bad for the environment.....my wife is always saying "Open the window".....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Here is link to the IRC that you might find applicable.

Check out point 5.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
Facilities Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombosi View Post
About to redo my bathroom. Plans changed (someone is giving me a nice cast iron tub) and the question is how to address the window that will wind up right next to the showerhead.

Either:

1) get rid of it, it becomes a solid tiled wall
2) change it to vinyl (or not), add a stone stool, and jambs, silicone/varnish the bejeezus out of it
3) leave it as is, paint and caulk real well

I'm leaning towards getting rid of it, but it's the only natural light in the bathroom, and everyone else I've asked thinks I should leave it.

It's high up, and looks out in such a way that no one could every really see me showering, and if they did, they'd see my head only.

If it stays, or gets changed, is there a way to have to open? Seems that would complicate the water management.

A few pics:

2X4 on the floor represents the bathtub, with the window on the other long wall of the tub out of sight around the corner.

Thanks!
I can tell you right now, your home is at least 10-15 years old. If not older.

That window does not meet current building codes. If you are remodeling under a permit, no way will that window pass inspection.

I would just get rid of it completely, BUT frame in a new window away from the Shower/Bathtub. OR you can punch a hole through the roof, and install a light tunnel (can't remember what its called, too many gadget names to remember) which will bring sunlight into it from the sky. If it's in a basement, just put a window on another part.

But that window as is, would not pass inspection, and would in fact, create headaches.
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Tileguy

Now is the time to get rid of the window. Windows in a shower are nothing but trouble.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote