Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

HELP! Water Leaking Into Basement Window

I have a basement window on my driveway that should probably have a window well. It seems that originally the bottom of the window was above the level of the driveway, but the previous owners of the house paved the driveway higher than they should have to eliminate having to step up into the side door on the driveway. Also, the driveway slopes slightly towards the house in a few places. There is a about 4 inches from the concrete window sill up to the level of the driveway, and the level of the window screen is below it.

SO when it rains in the winter and the ground is frozen, the water that doesn't drain properly from the driveway collects in the sunken sill and pours into the basement.

I know that i need to have a window well installed, but I can't do that until spring when the ground thaws. (I'll have to tear up a good portion of the driveway to lay a weeper)

Question is: Is there some sort of product like a expansion foam that i could use to fill the gap that the water is traveling in towards the window and to make a temporary barrier on the driveway around the window sill? Or is some other way to block the water without using a pump?

HELP!

COPYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 25

Try using sandbags- the ones you put in the bed of a truck for traction. Not much is going to stick in the cold.

Jason Myrlie
www.jcarstenhomes.com

JCarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,168

foam in a can will work temporarily but eventually you'll have to install a window well & drain it,,, otherwise, the well will fill w/wtr & repeat what's happening now,,, wtr runs downhill no matter where you live,,, you'll either have to install a gravity drain OR put in a pump

what's a ' weeper ' ?
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

What might work even better than those bags of traction sand is sections of pantyhose filled with sand - would eliminate the need for butt joints (provided the window isn't too big) and will allow water to penetrate into the sand and freeze the whole structure in place. (Once the sand berm is frozen I'd cover it with mulch to keep it frozen for the rest of the winter - ice is a great water barrier.)

Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
what's a ' weeper ' ?[/B][/FONT]
Weeping tile? Maybe he's running a french drain around the well.

Last edited by jules4; 03-02-2011 at 10:19 PM.
jules4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #6

By 'weeper', i meant weeping tile /perforated pipe draining away from the house.

And I found that building a dam with "magic sand" worked the best. Magic Sand is used in between interlocking brick. Its swept over the the driveway and then wet down with the hose. It hardens like cement with the consistency of sand. It worked well.

Thanks everyone
-Christine

Tags
driveway gap, leaking window, window well