DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

help on verticle siding on concrete porch

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  LeftyLucy 
#1 ·
I have a roofed front concrete porch on a pier and beam foundation house- built in 1951. I'm removing some plastic siding applied over original wood vertical tongue and groove siding on the 2 walls- other sides of porch are open. I have been having a water problem where the concrete floor meets the wood siding wall. The concrete has been rotting away and as I can't find an alternative source of water leak- as in roof, I'm seeing if it helps to remove the plastic siding and perhaps the old wood siding it is applied over as it too has rotted at bottom. I need to know if its necessary or even applicable, to install flashing between the siding and concrete to keep water out. If I can solve this water problem I plan to deal with the rotted concrete problem by tiling the porch and putting a slight pitch while doing it to make water run off, as it is the water may be pooling at the inner corner of the two walls, from what I can see with a level.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
that's extremely unusual to find ' rotting ' concrete,,, i've seen cinder blocks fall apart, conc blks degrade, even old porous conc leak but never what you describe,,, there shouldda been flashing there anyway - either neoprene membrane or copper'd be my choice.

forget tile unless you're south of atl, ga,,, it'll eventually pop off from freezing water which infiltrates thru the grout lines,,, then again, its your house & your $$$ so do what you want,,, i do this for a living & wouldn't at my house.

btw, of course regrading the porch for positive drainage makes sense.

#3 ·
The surface of the concrete is disintegrating, with the gravel/rocks now showing and area of it happening growing all the time as well- it seems to stay damp up against that whole wall now for days after it rains. I live in West Texas so it doesn't hard-freeze very much here and the porch faces south with also helps.The house was built in 1951 and I didn't have anything to do with the house until I bought it in 2000. And I'm a nurse, not a carpenter, although I'm retired now.
So, when I redo it and add flashing- how do I deal with the part of flasjing that will be horizonal after coming from up under the siding, just leave it lying horizonal itself for an inch or more? bend it back up to form a "U" and the caulk with butyl caulking to seal it with the siding and apply a bead again on the 90* corner where deck meets sidng covered in flashing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.