Help Support Walls For Beam Installation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help support walls for beam installation

Hello everybody,
I'm planning on removing couple walls and opening up some space in the house.
Thinking about installing parallam beams. However I need help to decide which way it is better to support the walls and floors above while I'm doing this.
Do I have to extend the 2x4 supports to the 2nd floor? The joists will be cut of so the beam could fit flush. (A) is an exterior wall and holds the weight of the roof, (B) is just interior wall which just has the wall and joists above.
Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Mitchbak; 12-01-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Mitchbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Disclaimer: dumb question from an amateur. If you cut the joists (to make room for the PSL beam), what's going to hold up the exterior and interior second floor load bearing walls until the PSL is in place? The temporary walls will only be holding up the now-shortened joists that no longer support those walls. It seems to me you'd have to leave the second floor floor-joists alone and insert the PSLs beams under them.

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
STRUCTURAL

Rewards Points: 25

Continue the temporary shoring on the second floor too because the walls there will have no support under until you have put in the new beams.

Another issue is that the new beams you want them to be 10" like existing joists but such a wood/LVL beam is very limited in span unless you will use there a steel beam that will allow you longer spans.
ENGINEER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you are shifting the supports, what is under the new supports to hold everything up? Just remember to take care of support all the way past the lowest floor.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,080

I hope you get a permit for these structural changes. The outside wall is probably your shear flow for the two story, the section removed may be critical to holding your house from racking in high winds or earthquake. How long is the outer span?

Gary