Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Share |

Help! Structure issue?

Hi. I am in the process of buying a home and made a terrible mistake when asking for repairs to make the purchase contingent on. I forgot to ask for a structure issue to be fixed. I am curious if you could tell me how serious this repair could be and in your opinion the amount of labor required to address. A floor system support post/pier under the kitchen is out of plumb. Instead of the 2x4 being directly center on the concret slab it is left of
center and the 2x4 is on the left edge of the concreat slap and the right end of the 2x4 is in the center of the slab.

RookieDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Help! Structure issue?

Going to need a picture.
Confusing post, a picture will clear it up instead of everyone guessing.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Help! Structure issue?

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s296/s...abf3e997ae75ad

Sorry new to this.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Help! Structure issue?

Is there anything (like concrete) under that tapered concrete pier? It looks like a big blob of concrete was dumped down there, and the pier set into it.

And is the top of the 4x4 (2x4?) exactly where you want it to be right now? And is it fastened the way you want it to be up at the top?

Do you think the tapered pier could be moved? Or is it poured into something down below?

BTW, whatever you decide to do, there should be a piece of metal, or some other impervious material, between the 4x4 (2x4?) and the concrete pier... and the bottom should be firmly held in one spot.

Last edited by Willie T; 08-10-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

Help! Structure issue?

Thanks for the picture, can see that's a mess, but need one of the whole set up.
From what little I can see a 2 X 4 never should have been used. A concrete filled steel column or even a pressure treated 4 X 4 would have been better.
It sure does not look like a full footing like it was supposed to be.
There's no post base to hold the post in place and keep it from coming in contact with the concrete.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Help! Structure issue?

Thanks Joe. So in your opinion how much trouble am I in for? I have already committed to purchasing the home based on repairs but this one was left off and I'm concerned about leaving it unattended. This is not something I would even attempt but I'm curious to the cost I'm looking at paying to have it properly supported.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Help! Structure issue?

We can not see the whole job from here.
Adding a footing and installing a new post is a DIY 101 job why pay someone to do it?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Help! Structure issue?

Thanks. I'll do some research. I'm a first time home owner and really just starting to learn about how to fix things on my own. I guess I'm just "afraid" because when I think of the structual integrity of the home it freaks me out. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #9

Help! Structure issue?

At some point your going to have to learn and not just hire someone all the time.
Even if you do hire someone, learn as much as you can before so you can see through the BS.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #10

Help! Structure issue?

Looks like a wooden post sitting off-center on a pier block...and it is hard to tell if the pier block is sitting on a bigger footing.

If the post is important to keep the floor from sagging - remove what is there. Drop a plumb line and pour a 18" x 18" x 6" slab (dimensions not really critical) - then set a concrete pier block that will accept an adjustable post support. Let the concrete pad setup for a day.

The adjustment of the post holder is by a nut on a threaded rod that slides up/down a hole in the center of the pier block. Have the post saddle down low - and then measure the distance to the floor above, and cut a 4 x 4 to that dimension. Put the cut post in the saddle, and tighten the nut to raise up the saddle and 'take up load' on the post. Then use some nails to firmly attach the post to the saddle at the lower side. Use some TECO tie plates (or equivalent) to attach the post at the top to the beam it is supporting.
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
JOATMON

Help! Structure issue?

It's a one day job.....maybe a 6 pak and a half to get through all of it.....

Don't stress.....welcome to DIY....and if you don't drink beer....wine is fine....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote