Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #1

Share |

help with stairs

Guys here is my project I orginally posted this over on the carpentry forum with no response so hoping to pick up something from this forum

I need to drop down 8'1" from the main level to the basement level with a set of stairs.

I need to run down one side of a partition wall then wrap around and go down to basement level. Essentially North-East-South direction.

I want to run with 36" stair width; 7" risers ; 10" run.

Here is my figuring:
Run 1 flight down from main floor with 9 risers (9'3") for a X axis length of 7'9" to the landing which would be 56" deep with an center/edge cut out to accommodate the 8" partition wall and 68" long. No header involved.

Then run from the landing down to the basement with 5 risers (5'2") for a X axis length of 3'4". The last step off would be directly under the basement header.

I worked the calculations backwards from the basement level up due to the basement header and the depth of the back wall I have to work with which is 56" off the edge of the partition wall.

Do my numbers add up or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
I have gas!

help with stairs

Just make sure you calculate your rise finish floor to finish floor. If the basement is going to be livable space, yo uneed to maintain 80" of headspace above all the tread noses.