HELP! Slab On Grade 95 % Moisture - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

HELP! Slab on grade 95 % moisture

I have water coming up thru my grout on our tile floors in my home. Don't know where to turn. I have had many professionals in the home and still no answer. 10 yrs ago bought this home built in 1983 Tampa Fl 1400 sq ft put beautiful glued down hard wood floors thru out the home and ceramic tile in the kitchen/dining. Over the yrs watched the wood turn black thru out the home. No changes on the floor in the kitchen/dining? Aug 2013 we had them removed hard wood and put down porcelain tile only where the wood floors were. The company that put them down knew we had a moisture problem and said they felt the moisture barrier they put down would take care of the problem. They used Elite Building products Ultra Guard UG75 water proof crack isolation membrane. About 2 months later I started seeing the grout turn dark in different places. It is not in one spot in the home, it is in almost every room. I have quite a few places where the calcium/water is bubbling up and looks terrible, also in a couple of areas (about 5'x8' area you can stand and shift your weight and hear water slushing around under the tiles. I really tell if when it rains it gets worse or not
We have a pool that was here when we bought the home and had that checked out. Had had Sleuth leak detection check pressurized pipes in the home, water meter , fire hydrant, We had Grable Plumbing do a smoke test, camera snaked up under the home looking thru the pipes. They did a table water survey but only down about 2 ' and the soil is pretty dry, Had 2 home inspectors come out and he truly is at loss unless the moisture barrier under the home has deteriorate or was never one put there ?
I have gutters all the way around my home and NO trees in my yard other than small palm trees. Have completed a moisture in 3 areas of the home (opposite ends of the home) called CALC (calcium chloride) done in one location. And the RH (relative humidity Insitu) following ASTM 2170-11. Also performed a concrete meter moisture test
(surface)using a Ligno Mat versatec moisture meter set to read concrete and reading at ¾” depth. The testing was begun on 1/14/15 and completed on 1/17/15. The results were.
Area 1 CALC results 15.75lbs RH 95.3% Surface 31.9 (concrete floor)
Area 2 RH 94.3% surface 8.7 (through tile)
Area 3 RH 94.5% Surface 9.0 (through
The master br is at the end of the home where they did find some mold when they removed the hard wood that is the end of the home where my pool pump /heater equip is.
We tried to place 2 claims with our insurance company but they say it is not an accident and will not pay so we have gone thru about $20.000.00 worth of floor out of our pocket and still having problems.
So this has been happening many years and we have not been able to figure it out.
Everyone has their opinion and keeps thinking it’s the pool and others say moisture barrier or some typeof water intrusion. By the way I have never noticed anything in my kitchen ceramic tile put down 2005. I had one flooring company say they put down 12' sheets of vinyl or linoleum with some kind or moisture barrier and then your choice of tile or carpet over that on one of their jobs that worked. This will be my 3rd set of floors. We are trying to find a product to put down that will work but then I think if we put some type of floor barrier down that will not let moisture in then I would worry if it will stay at the base boards and be any structural damage or damage to the sole plates? Never had any wet base boards or plumbing problems as of yet and they did replace the base boards when they put the tile down. This are use to be a cow pasture. My water bill never fluctuates and my pool water never goes down unless it rains a lot, Pool Company says they have never seen a pool leak to do something like this but could it be my pool skimmer leaking? My pool is about 6 ft away from the back of my home. Thinking of hiring an engineer but not sure what kind to hire ? Does anyone else have this problem?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by beenthere; 11-25-2015 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Resized font
dkwetslab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 6,042

Ayuh,.... Yer choice of tiny font, 'n not usin' paragraphs, makes yer post pretty much Unreadable,....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Msradell (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,188

I had a hard time following your post, the central problem seems to be water leaking into the house through the floor slab. The key measurement you need to make would be the groundwater level around the house. Your post seems to indicate that you have done this, but I could not really understand exactly what you did, and what the results are. If the groundwater level is close to the bottom of the slab, then water can wick up through the concrete into the house. But this is so obvious that I would think one or more of the professionals you hired would have checked the groundwater level, but I could not tell from your post what the professionals checked, what the results were, and what their conclusions were. So I would start by determining the groundwater level, and go from there.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,072

Do your neighbors on either side if you have any problems like your having??
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 11,516

There just is no way to waterproof a slap from the top side.
That idea of laying down several layers of linolium then tiling was a hoot.
The first layers not going to stay stuck down and you should not tile over it anyway.
It would be interesting to see some pictures of the outside so we can get an idea of the lay of the land.
Where's the plumbing run, through the slab? If so what type plumbing did they run?
Very common for steel or copper pipes under or through slab to leak and have to be rerun through the walls or attic.
Ever shut off everything that uses water in the house and watched the water meter to see if it still moves?
Got working gutters with down spouts at least 10 ft. from the house?
Mulch piled up against the foundation?
No irrigation?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
So I would start by determining the groundwater level, and go from there.

Makes sense to me.

Might have to monitor it over a period of time.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 46

You might dig a short trench next to the slab about 6-8" deep and look for it to fill with ground water. The slab should be 8" higher at floor level than the outside soil. If not, then the soil is too high on the house and can be the issue. Regrading the lot and resetting the drainage may be the fix. If the slab is 8" higher than the soil, the ground water may be penetrating the slab from under the house. You might need to dig a french drain around the foundation to get rid of the water. Obviously check the cheap things first like the water meter for any movement to eliminate the possibility of a slab plumbing leak and the trench alongside of the house. If the house has brick for the exterior finish, check that the weepholes are clear and clean and not below the soil.
Trapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2

lên là lên
hoangkiena92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,550

Don't know what the op is up to , a little TMI. I think he is having fun with you guys.
ZTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I had a hard time following your post, the central problem seems to be water leaking into the house through the floor slab. The key measurement you need to make would be the groundwater level around the house. Your post seems to indicate that you have done this, but I could not really understand exactly what you did, and what the results are. If the groundwater level is close to the bottom of the slab, then water can wick up through the concrete into the house. But this is so obvious that I would think one or more of the professionals you hired would have checked the groundwater level, but I could not tell from your post what the professionals checked, what the results were, and what their conclusions were. So I would start by determining the groundwater level, and go from there.
Thank you very much Daniel, They only dug down about 3 ft from what I understand we need to dig down till we hit water to determine this. Thank you. Debbie
dkwetslab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,012

How about boring a hole through the concrete where it seemed water could be heard below to determine what's there. If there is no water there, take a soil sample and check the moisture percent at that location.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,036

Well seems every thing else has been checked and tested time to drain the pool for a couple weeks and see if that solves the prob. if you have no plumbing leaks no pool leaks then its time to dig a french drain around your house. I kinda feel bad you have spent so much money on this it should have never cost that much to diagnose the problem. with how much you have spent the prob should be solved whether it be plumbing leak or ground water.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,036

Step 1. drain pool see if that solve problem. if not continue to step 2

Step 2. Call a 2 plumbing company get a second opinion make sure they have a floor stethoscope and have them pump your water line full of air. air has smaller molecules so it is easier to find leaks and its louder so you can hear smaller leaks with the stethoscope. also thoroughly check the waste water system leaks in the waste water system are harder to find so make sure they are thorough. if they dont find anything continue to step 3

Step 3. Geo testing. consult with a geotechnical engineer such as testlab inc in your area http://www.testlabinc.net/
if needed include a civil engineer

Step 4. install whatever system they recommend

Step 5. Get a good nights sleep.

Advertisement

Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote