Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #1

Share |

Help sizing a girder for a dock

I'm building a 10x32 dock platform. I want to make sure that I properly size my girders.

My dock will consist of driven 12" diameter butt pilings, 4" x 10" rough-cut pressure treated southern yellow pine girders, and pre-cast concrete marine decking.

* Pilings are driven on 8' centers for the length of the dock, 32 feet.

* Pilings are driven on an 11' center for the width.

* Rough-cut pressure treated syp 4"x10" girders are placed on each side of the pilings, across the 11' width, and through bolted using 5/8" timber bolts.

*Concrete (free span) marine panels are placed on top of the griders and through bolted.

* Each pair of girders will be supporting a 4'x8' (1,200 pounds), 4' x 8' (1,200 pounds) and a 2' x 8' (600 pounds) for a total weight of about 3,000 pounds per pair of girders.

I've been unsuccessful at finding load tables for the rough-cut lumber. The southernpine.com site has them for dimensional lumber but not rough-cut.

Does anyone have a site with load tables for my application?

Better yet, can one of you structural engineer types give me a thumbs up on the 4x10's?

Thanks
seacern is offline   Reply With Quote