Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

Share |

HELP for simple patio and patio cover 1st time

Hi! Newbie here. Just finished reading the rules for posting so forgive me if I missed something.

OK...

So I'm trying to construct a patio and patio cover. Something simple. Main things I need are cement, wood, and tin roofing. I've searched the forums on where to start: from the bottom up or top to bottom?

Right now I have bare ground (dirt and all) as soon as I step out from my house. I'm thinking of cementing a 2 feet sidewalk, then a small 1ft x 6in deep gutter, then cementing the darn thing all the way (15ft x 20ft) to the limit (8ft from the street).

Next I plan to put the cover. Construct the roofing first, level with the roof on the house, then posting it up all using treated 2x4s/2x2s/ and 4x4s. Im thinking of making the patio cover 12ft x 20ft. Three feet from the start of the patio and 20ft to cover it across.

what do you guys think? any suggestions?

crzysprstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
DIY-er

The first thing would be to excavate. For the patio, you will likely need an 6" depth (2 inches of patio stone on top of 4" of aggregate) - check the building standard at your local building department. For the concrete walkway, you will likely need a 6" depth again, and more for the drainage swales you want to install.

The next thing would be to install the footings for the posts that will hold up the patio cover. Measure out from the house and locate the position for the posts, then use an auger to dig to the appropriate depth. I'm not sure where Guam is, but you can check with your local building department to determine the standards for footing depth in your area. Install the post directly into the concrete footing at least 2/3 of the way down, or install a metal post support into the concrete so that you can later attach the post into the metal support. You may want to use sona tubes for the footings because it is best to have the footings be 1/2 inch above the finished grade and sloped downward.

After this, you can do the roof or the patio and walkways first, whatever you prefer.

KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinPh For This Useful Post:
crzysprstr (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPh View Post
The first thing would be to excavate. For the patio, you will likely need an 6" depth (2 inches of patio stone on top of 4" of aggregate) - check the building standard at your local building department. For the concrete walkway, you will likely need a 6" depth again, and more for the drainage swales you want to install.

The next thing would be to install the footings for the posts that will hold up the patio cover. Measure out from the house and locate the position for the posts, then use an auger to dig to the appropriate depth. I'm not sure where Guam is, but you can check with your local building department to determine the standards for footing depth in your area. Install the post directly into the concrete footing at least 2/3 of the way down, or install a metal post support into the concrete so that you can later attach the post into the metal support. You may want to use sona tubes for the footings because it is best to have the footings be 1/2 inch above the finished grade and sloped downward.

After this, you can do the roof or the patio and walkways first, whatever you prefer.
Wow. Quick! Love it! (where's the thanks button? LOL.) Sounds expensive/ I honestly had to google the meanings to some stuff like sona or auger, but I can definitely start now :D

Ill post pics when I get started in a week. Waiting for the budget to come in. Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
DIY-er

Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
DIY-er

If you don't want to rent an auger, you can also hire someone to dig the post holes. Where we live, you can hire a posthole contractor to dig a 4 ft. deep post hole filled with concrete for $22 per hole - all you have to do is supply the post, and they set it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinPh For This Useful Post:
crzysprstr (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:

Guam is between the north Pacific ocean and the Phillipine sea.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
crzysprstr (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
DIY-er

OK, I thought Guam, USA, meant a town on the mainland, USA. I've always wanted to go there, particularly to Palau
Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
If you don't want to rent an auger, you can also hire someone to dig the post holes. Where we live, you can hire a posthole contractor to dig a 4 ft. deep post hole filled with concrete for $22 per hole - all you have to do is supply the post, and they set it for you.
Thanks for your recommendation :D I bet that will save me tons of $$$ and time :D
Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Guam is between the north Pacific ocean and the Phillipine sea.

Yea its paradise kinda. Like a flake off hawaii :D