Help Securing Metal Gazebo To Paver Patio - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 50

Help securing metal gazebo to paver patio

We have a 10'x10' metal gazebo on our paver patio (standard sized bricks on top of dirt). There are 4 posts on the gazebo, each of which has two holes for staking into the ground. Additionally each post has two ropes tied to 2 stakes in the ground. Currently, all the stakes (4 per post for a total of 16) are just metal rods inserted into the ground (in the tiny space between the bricks or through the grass at the edges).

It's been swaying for a few weeks and today we had a decent storm and now it has almost toppled over. A few chairs are helping to prop up the posts. We obviously need to secure it properly.

So should I take off a few bricks at each post location and use some sort of soil anchor and screw? How long should the screws be? Or should I leave the bricks in place and use masonry screws? How long should the masonry screws be?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

Jem555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,568

Masonry screws will NOT do it , there is not enough weight in the few pavers that you will be anchoring to.

Either use the auger anchors you mentioned, or install a concrete footer at each corner to anchor to.

Do the same at the rope ties on the upper corners, out about ten feet or more, depending on the available room, then use a yellow hose over the rope to indicate that this is a trip hazard.

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Jem555 (06-01-2015), mae-ling (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Masonry screws will NOT do it , there is not enough weight in the few pavers that you will be anchoring to.

Either use the auger anchors you mentioned, or install a concrete footer at each corner to anchor to.

Do the same at the rope ties on the upper corners, out about ten feet or more, depending on the available room, then use a yellow hose over the rope to indicate that this is a trip hazard.

ED
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, I could probably use 4 different bricks per post for a total of 16 bricks. Is that still not enough weight?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,044

With the big sail that a gazebo is the 4 bricks per post is not enough weight.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (05-31-2015), Jem555 (06-01-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem555 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, I could probably use 4 different bricks per post for a total of 16 bricks. Is that still not enough weight?
That will just make a bigger rock thrown into your house, or car, or "oh no" the neighbors picture window.

Do you really want that.

temporarily remove enough pavers to dig a proper footing, use a 12 inch sono-tube, at least 2 feet deep at each corner, fill with concrete, cure, then install the canopy, and cover the concrete with the pavers again.

Then anchor the upper corners as I described with more sono-tubes and concrete with an eyebolt and a yellow garden hose covered rope tie out.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Jem555 (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 4,308

Majority of those Gazebo's are made for temp. use only. After a while, they get pretty tattered and the members end up coming apart when the rivets break.

You are really better in having a real gazebo put up, not use a Shade unit, made for watching games or when you go camping.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Jem555 (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #7

Thanks guys for your feedback. Ideally I'd like to avoid making any permanent changes to my patio. Would it be at all feasible to use four large planters, place my posts in the planters and then use a combination of concrete and sand to weigh down my four posts? I'd be able to use at least 100lb sand per planter for a total of 400+ lbs.
Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem555 View Post
Thanks guys for your feedback. Ideally I'd like to avoid making any permanent changes to my patio. Would it be at all feasible to use four large planters, place my posts in the planters and then use a combination of concrete and sand to weigh down my four posts? I'd be able to use at least 100lb sand per planter for a total of 400+ lbs.
Thanks again.
would WORK.

Substitute the sand with some old iron barbell weights, at least 100 lbs each.

edit/added: Still tie the upper sections to the yard stakes, these things are usually flimsy and it will still wrack badly without the tie downs.

Then you could use the planters as planters too.

ED

Advertisement

Last edited by de-nagorg; 06-01-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added further detail
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Jem555 (06-01-2015), mae-ling (06-01-2015)