Help Replacing Rotted Sill Plate And Studs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
wjb

Rewards Points: 10

Help replacing rotted Sill Plate and Studs

I would appreciate some sound advice on repairing this damage myself. i can't afford to hire someone to repair right now and its about to get cold here in Minnesota. Iím pretty handy with tools that may be needed to complete. From reading some messages and advice here Iím confident that I can get the help and advice I need. IĎll start with do I need to build a jack wall and how to build it, or do I need to do this at all. It appears to me that I only need to replace or sister 3 to 4 studs? I have pics of the damage inside and outside of damaged area of house. the room above is a bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Help replacing rotted Sill Plate and Studs-rotted-sill2.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by wjb; 10-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
wjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Has whatever cause this damage been fixed? Was it the point where the roof ends outside, small square in your pic, that caused it?

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Has whatever cause this damage been fixed? Was it the point where the roof ends outside, small square in your pic, that caused it?
That and/or the window especially with vinyl siding. If the cause was fixed then that sheathing and likely the rest of it would have been done at the same time.

Wjb, I think your getting ahead of your self here.

The first few steps to this all happen from the outside and youíll need to get up to speed on basic siding and roofing flashing details to do this right.

The first step would be to remove all of the siding from area to the right of the window of the roof all the way down the wall until you have exposed all of the damage from the outside.

Until thatís all exposed and we can see how siding installers and the roofers flashed that area it would just be anybodyís guess. Exposing that area and posting those pictures should be your next step.

The good news it (if you can call it that) is there is no easier siding material to remove and replace damage free than vinyl siding if you get this done before it gets to cold out. Itís pretty to break VS in freezing temps if you donít know what youíre doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #4

Missed it before. In the top 2 pics you can see the vinyl siding, the sheeting is rotten, looks like some sort of particleboard?
Kwik is right have to remove siding , re sheet, flash properly, fix studs and plate, then reapply siding.

Not that hard of a job really.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Missed it before. In the top 2 pics you can see the vinyl siding,
Missed that one too. Where's the weather barrier?

EDIT: I guess there's rotted tyvek looking stuff in the mix too.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 10-06-2012 at 04:35 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
wjb

Thanks for the the prompt replies. The water was getting in at the area of the small square. I'm going to finish pulling off the drywall so i can see how much more damage there is inside. From what I can see so far its confined to that area in the pics.I'll re-post pics after that. I was hoping to repair the area inside first during the week after work so my wife's clients for daycare wouldn't see that mess outside during the week when they drop off their children.. the front door entrance is just to the right and below where the water was getting in. the siding company never caulked that area where the roof meets the wall and the gutter installers didn't flash the gutter either. this was all done about 15 years ago. Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Mod

wjb, you’re making a mistake with your plan. The fix is from the outside, anything inside is just cosmetic.

Cold is coming and you’re in MN, the clock is ticking for outside on the roof work. (I was just up there last weekend btw).

Clean up the inside demo and paint some plywood white to cover if you’re concerned about the appearance for the wife’s clients.

I assume you came here for advice on how to correctly handle your problem and that's what you're getting.

It’s your house and you can do whatever you want but until you correct the root cause you’re just spinning wheels.

I fact I wouldn’t cover anything up until all of the outside work was done “and” passed the hose test.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Thanks for the the prompt replies. The water was getting in at the area of the small square. I'm going to finish pulling off the drywall so i can see how much more damage there is inside. From what I can see so far its confined to that area in the pics.I'll re-post pics after that. I was hoping to repair the area inside first during the week after work so my wife's clients for daycare wouldn't see that mess outside during the week when they drop off their children.. the front door entrance is just to the right and below where the water was getting in. the siding company never caulked that area where the roof meets the wall and the gutter installers didn't flash the gutter either. this was all done about 15 years ago. Thanks again!
There should be no caulking needed where the roof meets the siding, it's all done with flashing. Done wrong and the wall leaks.
Gutters do not need flashing.
Kwik is dead on, totaly waste of time working on the inside to make it look pretty.

Last edited by joecaption; 10-06-2012 at 07:54 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,052

But the house wrap goes over the flashing: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwDA&dur=68

They had them 15 years ago, just got a bad roofer/sider; http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...1#.UHDgHlIdopg

Page 29, the whole nine yards: http://www.vinylsiding.org/PUBLICATI...al_English.pdf

Gary
mae-ling (10-07-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #10

For a tempory cover on the inside put up a few colored sheets/material and pin kids artwork to it. Daycare moms will love it!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Mod

This article shows pretty well what it should look like behind the siding.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-intersections
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-07-2012), oh'mike (10-07-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
wjb

Ok guys i'm back on the rotted sill now. and I hope you're sill here for me.I had to finish up another project that was a priority for the wife's business inspection. Its a little rough with timing for this project ,since the wife is not having the thought of me pulling the siding off during business hours. The front door is right there next to the big square in the picture. So I used the hose test this weekend and just as i suspected water is getting in around the area of the small square in the piucture. I also cut out more drywall to see how much more rot there was and cleaned loose debris,sprayed and scrubbed with bleach. (see more pics).the link ,http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...-intersections shows the problem right where my water is getting in. . I know yous said to pull off the siding first,but now that i've found the problem,is this still the first thing i still need to do now? and replace the sill with PT 2x4d sister the rotted studs,from the outside or is this something I can do during this week from the inside and be ready for the siding Friday night..pull and replace the sheathing,tyvex,styrofoam for siding( which by the way is formed for the siding) and the siding. My thinking is I only have a Saurday and Sunday to get this done if the weather will cooperate this weekend. This maybe my last window of opportunity. hopefully I can get this finished up by Sunday Night if I start right after work Friday. I have no idea how long a project like this would normally take however i'm confident in my ability to get it done if I have advice and direction.
Attached Images

Advertisement