Help On Replacing Door Header With Something Thinner - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

help on replacing door header with something thinner

Hi, I am remodeling the basement and facing problem with the old door openng. It sits in the weight bearing wall and had a 2x6 double header.

The problem is that the door open is too low, only about 6'2'' high.

I intended to replace this double header with some thinner metal support so the door opening can be a bit higher.

Any suggestion what I may be able to use?

The door opening is 36 inches wide.




hr1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Chicago, IL
Michael Thomas's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,037
Rewards Points: 500

II you only need to pick up an inch or so you can usually get away with engineered lumber - sometimes you can pick up Microlam cutoffs at the lumber yard for almost nothing.

If you need to go with less depth ("height ") you can have someone make you a flitch plate, a piece of steel plate to be sandwiched and through bolted between two pieces of 2xX" lumber and shimmed out to the wall thickness:

Around here we typically use 1/8" plate - typically WAY overkill for door headers, but that's what the local steel fabricator has handy - if you go the flitch beam route make sure you have them punch the bolt holes for you, saves a lot of time and drill bits.

If you need to go with even less depth, use 1/4" plate.

The illustration above shows the bolt heads and nuts above the surface of the wood, for your applications you want to size the bolts by length so that they fit into counter sinks ( sized to accept the washers) in the wood and sitting below the surface.

In either case you need to have someone who knows what they're doing specify the depth/material of the engineered lumber or flitch plate depending on the application.


Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 07-17-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Registered User
Termite's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Rewards Points: 2,000

Agreed, a flitch plate is the norm here as well. Definitely some engineering required however. Another option would be to use tube steel, also engineered to handle the imposed loads.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys! That was very quick and informative. I will go to my local lumber yard this weekend.
hr1551 is offline   Reply With Quote

header , weight bearing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing 47 year old AC unit cable_data_guy HVAC 47 04-15-2009 03:01 PM
Replacing sliding patio door problems marlinpuppy Building & Construction 2 02-22-2009 08:11 PM
Replacing windows in a Bedford Stone home tim_the_toolman Building & Construction 6 12-02-2008 07:27 AM
paint thinner stains on vinyl siding. patt Painting 6 06-04-2007 04:07 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1