Help Putting An Internal Door Through To The Garage From The Hall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2005, 07:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help putting an internal door through to the garage from the hall

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am fairly competent at DIY - managed to put a new roof on extension over the summer and now want to convert the garage into an extra living room. Got building regs etc under control and procured still saw (sorry if not spelt correctly) via work. Read up on putting in catnic lintel and know that it has to overhang by at least 15cm either side of aperture. Looking for advice as finding a blank wall rather daunting at the moment and dont want to stuff it up and have upstairs fall in!! So basically looking for tips/advice on how/where to start. :confused:

Advertisement

vix92008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
PRO

Rewards Points: 75

Is that a......skill saw?....15cm either side of aperture?...Are you a dentist trying to put in a door to your garage?

I did pick up on the upstairs fall in thing.....and ah...that aint good.

Bob

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 01:24 AM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Glass, lighten up. The guy's from the UK, I don't know code there and I doubt if you do either. There ARE times not to fool around.
We have a few from the UK that visit the board and maybe one of them can help you. In the meantime, spread the word that we are here and you will get a quicker response from your compatriots.
I did muddle through St. Andrews and Paisley.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
PRO

Rewards Points: 75

Sorry Vix, I re-read that and Teetor's right it does sound a little heavy.

Heres the advice, you mention lintel, I don't know what a catnic lintel is but a lintel provides suport for brick or block so I'm assuming thats your case.

1.Check the wall to discover if it has load.
The best way to do this is to check the roof frame and see if the rafters sit above your new opening.
2.Ruff cut.
Cut and remove brick debri a few inches smaller than your new opening it's good to draw your new opening on the wall so as not to emproach it
3.Remove sheathing.
When removing the sheathing on the frame be careful not to intrude to far and disrupt elec. wireing, plumb, prevouis HO's exwife's body, ect.
4.Temp support (load bearing)
If your wall is load bearing, you will need a temp support, you can do this by placing a 2x12, edge up, on the ceiling a few inches away from your new openings spaning it's width. Then tightly wedge 2x4s vertical to the floor under your temp 2x12 beam.
5.Frame repair
On the top of your opening it's best to place a header, load bearing or not, I use two pieces of 2x10 sandwiched together with a piece of 1/2 ply playing bologna Be sure on the right and left you have a vertical stud running all the way up and down then one inside of it runing from the bottom of your header sandwich to the floor....................I can't believe I just had to sing the Oscar Myer song to spell bologna
6.Cosmedic cuts
Make your cosmedic cuts on brick/block, trim it all up, have a beer, and tell the wife to throw on the steaks. It's party time :D

Bob

Last edited by Glasshousebltr; 02-17-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Glasshousebltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Bob! I think even I could follow that. YOU DA MAN!!!