Help...pouring Concrete Then Polish - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help...pouring concrete then polish

i have to pour 2" slab over 2 1/2" by 12" assisted beams then polish the concrete. best strength concrete to to use and chemical to harden the concrete for the polish. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

bronze2273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

strength of concrete is determined by what you are using it for. 2500 psi - 3500 psi is fine for most applications. Polishing is not effected by the PSI.. No chemicals are needed to polish the concrete either. What are you using this for? What gloss level do you want? Polishing with finer grits of diamond pads increases the gloss.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for your response, its for a high end clothing store. my client wants a high gloss with black coloring, I'm new to the grind and polish system and i dont want a bad job done. i live in nyc.i really appreicate your help. how long should i wait before polishing after pour. the least amount of time possible. i was told to use eucoseal to quicken the concrete curing process everyday after the pour until i am ready to polish.
bronze2273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

trying to increase curing time only decreases strength. 3500 PSI will be more than strong enough. Vibrating the mix will be important here. Polishing will be done with a three disk wet grinder. Rent one if you need to these are expensive. Polishing is done the next day after the pour. Concrete does need to set but not cure.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

What are you using for the black "coloring"? There is a big different between the black iron oxide and carbon black types. Dark gray is easy, but real black is difficult.

I have seen concrete tile made and polished. Usually, they use a factory installed machine with 9 to 13 diamond heads. The first three are considered grinding/burnishing. The next ones are different grades of increasing fineness. After going through the process, the high tech units are then covered with a cement/iron oxide slurry (to fill the voids created by first passes) by all the wheels. They are then run through the entire process again for the real polishing after they slurry coating was cured. When it is done, it is hard/difficult/impossible to tell the product from polished stone from a jeweler.

For a floor, you may want to consider a real quality black aggregate (Obsidian, black basalt/granite or even stoop down to granite), but grinding and polishing costs would be very high. - Not cheap

Since it is a retail store, they probably want the finest done fast and cheap, so that could be overkill. the products I described are common in high quality homes, churches, museums, government buildings in Europe where polished (not ground or burnished) is an art.

If they are concerned with the immediate appearance/shine, it might be good to talk to an terrazzo contractor grinder for advice since they occasionally deal with correcting or creating fine finishes in the field and many difference aggregates (even some hard and dense).

The retailer may be gone in a year or two, no matter how long his lease is.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,458

1 - better get next to people who actually POLISH conc rather'n posting in here,,, imn-s-hfo, the best place's : http://www.decorativeconcreteforums....php?forum_id=6
- this forum's specifically set for conc polishing including chemicals, densifiers, machinery, diamonds, metals, & resins, yada, yada, yada.

2 - also sounds as if your client's uneducated - he could choose acid-stain & sealer which'd compete w/polish'd costs VERY competitively.

3 - YOU TOOK THIS JOB NOT KNOWING ANYTHING ? ?,,, oy VEY is mere !! what chutzpah - please tell us that's not the case !

ps - no one polish's fresh conc w/o f'n up the job !

pps - even knowing how, having done it, & have the equipment for small jobs, we sub this work OUT as its an EXTREME specialty !

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote