Help With Porch Posts - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

help with porch posts

I had a long post typed but my phone crashed on me so I will make this one short and sweet.

100 year old house that we recently bought. I am trying to do a lot of renovations on my own. Our next project is to replace the porch floor. Currently it is carpeted but you can tell parts of it are rotted.

Yesterday I started by replacing the rim joist on the side where the stairs are. There is actually 4 2x8s thay I replaced. There are 4 of them because there is a room post that sits on the front corner. In order to replace these I jacked up the roof. While doing this I noticed the bottom of the post looked weird. The post is a 4x4 with 1xs encasing the post. I always wondered why it was like that but after I ripped those off it was revealed that the 4x4 post was cut and the bottom has a double 2x4 for the bottom 8 inches. So now I need to replace the post. There are 3 other posts and I am wonderig if they are all the same.

This was done for 1 of 2 reasons. The posts is 8'8" tall. Either the bottom rotted and this was his fix or they used a 8 foot 4x4 and then just used 2x2 to fill in the bottom. Maybe back then longer than 8 feet weren't readily avaialble?

So my questions.
1. I was looking at something nicer than 4x4 for the post but they are all 8 feet. Is it normal for roofs to be exactly 8 feet tall? Is there a way to get exact sizes or what do people do when they need 8 more inches ?

2. If I use 4x4's again, how do you attach them to the floor and roof? It looks like the previous person just used glue and toed a nail in. My dad said he thinks they make a bracket that is kind of u shaped that screws into the floor and the then you screw the 4x4 from the side. I couldn't find them on home depots website. If they do exist how do you cover them so there isn't a back visible? Just paint?

I will try to get pictures in another post. Hopefully my rambling makes sense.

Advertisement

barbiaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Here are 2 pics
Attached Thumbnails
help with porch posts-1446389431643_1446389464742.jpg   help with porch posts-1446389482486_1446389497863.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 276

Right to my heart.

Our first home in '91 was an eighty year old brick twin that served as home for employees of a long dismantled steel mill. Our armpit of the neighborhood also had carpet over a rotted covered porch. When I removed the pillars, they basically exploded into pieces.

These pillars are available as regular catalog items in either wood or aluminum. One for one wood replacements complete with crown and base plates were had at half the cost of repairing the old ones within the week through our local lumber yard.

What I couldn't get was the original kitchen chestnut trim and doors that were a disaster. Rosettes and all went to a re-finisher to to strip the original varnish and years of overlaid grease. Later, that kitchen trim sold the house at the bottom of the market and enabled the leap to our current home, now twice the value including the current downturn.

One regret was replacing the porch floor in finished mahogany. Despite buying the best, the sun ate the exterior urethane finish alive. Standard oil based grey porch paint over pine would still be there.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by throrope; 11-01-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added crown plates
throrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 844

If I were you I'd skip HD and find a real lumber yard and just ask a few questions there. You'll learn a lot more there. They're also much more likely to have the proper length lumber, with better quality.

The posts don't simply go to the decking; they should tie into the joists and piers below the floor.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

We are also building a deck. I was at HD getting some deck plans and the lumber guy said run far away from their lumber as it is #2 crap. He pointed me to a local lumber yard and said I would get #1 for the same price. My problem is we plan on using the 0% 12 month interest. I don't want to use savings for projects.

I am going to the suggested lumber yard tomorrow to get some info. Maybe they have financing available as well. One convenient thing about HD is they are open on weekends.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 11,490

I'd bet that post rotted off at the bottom because it was in direct contact with the deck, not sitting on a post base.
Any Lowe's or HD has coloums in stock in wood, vinyl and aluminum.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...urce=capsbscat
Old 11-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Ah yes that is what I was picturing. So what will secure it to the porch. What do you use to secure it to the roof?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiaux View Post
Ah yes that is what I was picturing. So what will secure it to the porch. What do you use to secure it to the roof?
I meant that not what in second sentence. Was wondering what secures it to the roof.

Advertisement