Help Needed! Can't Make The Water Go Away - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help Needed! Can't make the water go away

We bought this house last July. And I've had a damp spot at the base of my front steps the entire time.

I thought it was a busted irrigation hose in the flower bed, but the wetness never went away even after we turned off the system.

Then I thought it was condensation from my roof constantly dripping down onto the steps and soaking in and leaking out. During an Ice storm this winter I had over 1 inch of ice covering all of my steps. And that's when the concrete peeled and crumbled.

So I had a gutter installed so no more constant dripping or frozen steps. Well the photos attached were taken today nearly 2 days since our last rain.

You may not be able to see in the photos, but the bottom of the wooden rails are actually showing water dmg and the paint is off so this has obviously been a problem since the house was built.

PS- The builder is bankrupt and we got a great deal on the house because of that, and the house sat for 2 years before we bought it and we are the first owners.

I've asked every worker, handyman and landscaper I've hired to do jobs (since we bought it "as is" and had to finish the basement) and they all say they've never seen this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Needed! Can't make the water go away-img_0465.jpg   Help Needed! Can't make the water go away-img_0464.jpg   Help Needed! Can't make the water go away-img_0466.jpg   Help Needed! Can't make the water go away-wet1.jpg  

Advertisement

lherndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

It looks like water is getting behind the brick and getting trapped---then working its way slowly to the lowest point--

It might be,that drain holes in the last course of mortar would get the water out.(all around the structure)

I am not a mason---Let's see what a masonry person has to say.---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
It looks like water is getting behind the brick and getting trapped---then working its way slowly to the lowest point--

It might be,that drain holes in the last course of mortar would get the water out.(all around the structure)

I am not a mason---Let's see what a masonry person has to say.---Mike---
I tend to agree, but in the mean time, a couple of thoughts come to mind. You said that a gutter was installed; where is the discharge? Could it possibly be finding its' way under or around the poch? Also, do you have a basement, do you have a sump pump, and where does it discharge? Lastly, are you on a municipal water system, and where does it enter the house? Just a few rhetorical questions that you may want to consider.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

looks from the last picture that the bush next to the steps is the low point of the bed; perhaps regrading is needed to move ground water away from the steps.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I would disconnect the irrigation system. Often, even when a main shutoff valve is closed a.slight amount of water will get past the shutoff. I would do this before ruling out the irrigation system..
brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I tend to agree, but in the mean time, a couple of thoughts come to mind. You said that a gutter was installed; where is the discharge? Could it possibly be finding its' way under or around the poch? Also, do you have a basement, do you have a sump pump, and where does it discharge? Lastly, are you on a municipal water system, and where does it enter the house? Just a few rhetorical questions that you may want to consider.
No, the gutter drains to the right of the steps and they actually came in a dug out a drainage ditch to the right b/c my property is on the top of a small hill with my neighbor to the left (left looking at the steps in the picture) and an undeveloped lot that I don't think they can build on to the right (from right looking at the steps). They did this so the gutter runnoff wouldn't erode the sand in the undeveloved lot next to me.

I am on a municipal water supply, and I've had the company check for leaks and had them read the meter looking for leaks and have been assured there are none, (and my water bill reflects the same)

Advertisement

lherndo is offline   Reply With Quote