Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Help! need pergola ideas

Has anyone built a pergola and how did it hold up? Ours would be attached to the house and measure 26' x 20'. We want it to provide shade as well as some protection from rain. We thought about using those 4' x 8' sheets of pressure treated wood lattice, privacy type with 1" square openings. However, I don't know if it would end up looking like a trailer park addition?? Also, it is very expensive. We could use a regular roof type material, but that would look like a carport. Since this is the focal point of the property, we hope to have it look really nice. So, back to the idea of a pergola.
Anyone have any creative suggestions for materials? Has anyone built a unique and functional pergola? Thanks
Farmer Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Help! need pergola ideas

Goggle, "Pergola plans" and you'll get plenty of plan ideas. They also sell kits if that's the way you want to go.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #3

Help! need pergola ideas

I built about 1000' of cover several years ago. Using rought hewn Doug Fir. Two coats of primer and a cover coat before it went together, then a final coat in place.

I was coming off a single story ranch, so getting the height was a bit of a problem. I removed the facer board which allowed the rafters to go several inches higher - then I boxed the soffit area, including putting downlighting to light wash the walls at night. Lack of height also creates a problem in that the support beams can end up in the visual line. To work with this I moved the beams on top of the rafters rather than the more usual below - using what I call hanging posts.

See pictures at:
http://www.webjeepers.com/homestead.html
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to getzjd Send a message via AIM to getzjd Send a message via MSN to getzjd Send a message via Yahoo to getzjd

Help! need pergola ideas

I used google images to find basic designs of pergolas and just did my thing.

I just finished the pergola addition Sunday. Thus ending a 3 summer project of building the deck and pergola (by myself ). A big thank you to everyone on this forum.

The pergola is sitting on its own concrete footers, but bolted to the beams and joists of the deck with extra blocking around the josts for more stability.

Pergola and Deck by getzjd, on Flickr

On a side note, I think you should stay away from lattice. IMO it does look a little trailer park'ish

Last edited by getzjd; 06-13-2011 at 07:58 PM.
getzjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Still going...

Help! need pergola ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by getzjd View Post
I used google images to find basic designs of pergolas and just did my thing.

I just finished the pergola addition Sunday. Thus ending a 3 summer project of building the deck and pergola (by myself ). A big thank you to everyone on this forum.

The pergola is sitting on its own concrete footers, but bolted to the beams and joists of the deck with extra blocking around the josts for more stability.

On a side note, I think you should stay away from lattice. IMO it does look a little trailer park'ish
That project is awesome!

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #6

Help! need pergola ideas

Thanks for your suggestions and the photos. I did look at different designs on the internet--to the point where my head was swimming. vsheetz, nice pergola. what size boards on top and how far apart. The drop support beams might work for my situation.
getzjd, your pergola looks awesome. Did you put a solid roof material over it?
Yes, I'm worried about the lattice. I saw some at lowes that is heavy duty and has 1" square openings. That would give great shade and honeysuckle vines could still grow up it. However, I haven't figured out a way to dress up the support beam design to make it look better and not so trailer"ish".
We need shade and protection from rain so the wider open pergola designs wouldn't work, unless there's an additional material I could use..... Outdoor fabric???
Farmer Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to getzjd Send a message via AIM to getzjd Send a message via MSN to getzjd Send a message via Yahoo to getzjd

Help! need pergola ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jane View Post
what size boards on top and how far apart. The drop support beams might work for my situation.
getzjd, your pergola looks awesome. Did you put a solid roof material over it?
Yes, I'm worried about the lattice. I saw some at lowes that is heavy duty and has 1" square openings. That would give great shade and honeysuckle vines could still grow up it. However, I haven't figured out a way to dress up the support beam design to make it look better and not so trailer"ish".
We need shade and protection from rain so the wider open pergola designs wouldn't work, unless there's an additional material I could use..... Outdoor fabric???
I used 2x12's for my beam, 2x10's for my rafters, and 2x4's on the top ( I do not have a solid roof). My rafters are spaced approximately 18oc. 2x4s are space 5" from edge to edge. Once you start getting in to a solid roof, you must take into account snow (assuming you live where it snows) and additional wind.

As of now, I think what I constructed provides adequate shade, but I have contemplated adding fabric. If I do add fabric, I will probably do 3 sections on a track system that can be retracted etc.
getzjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getzjd For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-14-2011)