Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
in deus nos fides

Share |

Help!! Need Ideas on replacing the floor system sill.

Here are a few photos of one of my old rental houses that has run down and I am converting it into my wood working shop by opening it up and guttin it out.

The problem I have is in the back on the main wall behind the small addition (which, as you can see, I am in the process of removing) the sill is rotten and the wall is sagging. What you cant see is this house is not sitting on a block foundation as it appears. It is sitting on rock piers. The blocks are just underpinning.

I need suggestions on how to lift the house and replace the sill on the back walll after I remove that small back addition.

I have years of building/framing experience but have never liftes a house before or delt with anything this old.

Thanks

Tim

Bearcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #2

Cruise around here, hope it helps you: http://books.google.com/books?as_brr...G=Search+Books

Be safe, Gary

Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Cruise around here, hope it helps you: http://books.google.com/books?as_brr...G=Search+Books

Be safe, Gary
Wow...I didnt know Google had that...Thanks Gary
Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Household Handyman

"Bearcreek", listen to Gary, he give great advice. One thing I would like to say here is that I viewed your public profile and see that your into "Mechanical and Architectural Design", which I'll take to mean you have some Engineering skills. You also mentioned that you are intending on "gutting out" the house, which to me means you will be removing interior walls. I'm sure you know that IF just go removing interior walls you will have problems as you will be removing supports for your roof as homes are built. BUT-I don't have all the details, do I? I'm familiar with that style of home as I also live in GA. and have traveled the NE Ga. a lot. Beautiful up there. That style of home could be made into a very nice house. I have done sill replacement down here in SW Ga. and it can be done two ways--hard or easy depending on what's under that house. I wish you luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
in deus nos fides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"Bearcreek", listen to Gary, he give great advice. One thing I would like to say here is that I viewed your public profile and see that your into "Mechanical and Architectural Design", which I'll take to mean you have some Engineering skills. You also mentioned that you are intending on "gutting out" the house, which to me means you will be removing interior walls. I'm sure you know that IF just go removing interior walls you will have problems as you will be removing supports for your roof as homes are built. BUT-I don't have all the details, do I? I'm familiar with that style of home as I also live in GA. and have traveled the NE Ga. a lot. Beautiful up there. That style of home could be made into a very nice house. I have done sill replacement down here in SW Ga. and it can be done two ways--hard or easy depending on what's under that house. I wish you luck, David
Thanks David

Yea I plan on running 2 15 ft laminated beams across the house.

Are you familiar with Southern Poly? I went to school there and now live in Toccoa. Ever been up here around Lake Hartwell? I live about 2 miles from the lake and the SC/GA line. If you are ever up this way give me a shout and you can drop by and look at this mess of a house I have taken on as a project..LOL. This old house doesnt have any wiring or insulation in it...the floors are bad. I was really considering just tearing out the floor system all together and pouring a slab.

Tim