Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Need to fill a hole!!

i have no man around to help me out so please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this sort of thing!

whilst putting nets up in my patio doors, the net rod went straight through the wall where the tension in the rod was too tight. I now have a hole in my plasterboard wall about 3" big!

I have no idea how to fill thus hole as it goes down into a cavity. A friend has told me to stuff newspaper in first and then polyfiller it. This may seem simple enough but the plasterboard is about 1/4 of an inch thick- or thin should I say! so, I can't even stuff and then polyfiller!

I'm stuck now on how to fill this hole, so someone with some DIY knowledge must be able to help I'm hoping. The sooner the better cos it's getting thick with webs and I'm petrified one day I'm gonna open the curtains to a hundred baby spiders!!!

Angie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie82 View Post
i have no man around to help me out so please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this sort of thing!

whilst putting nets up in my patio doors, the net rod went straight through the wall where the tension in the rod was too tight. I now have a hole in my plasterboard wall about 3" big!

I have no idea how to fill thus hole as it goes down into a cavity. A friend has told me to stuff newspaper in first and then polyfiller it. This may seem simple enough but the plasterboard is about 1/4 of an inch thick- or thin should I say! so, I can't even stuff and then polyfiller!

I'm stuck now on how to fill this hole, so someone with some DIY knowledge must be able to help I'm hoping. The sooner the better cos it's getting thick with webs and I'm petrified one day I'm gonna open the curtains to a hundred baby spiders!!!
I've never seen 1/4" plasterboard walls. Is this in a house or mobile home?
Normally you'd square off the hole, screw wood to the back of the sheetrock as a backing and screw on a piece of sheetrock to fill the hole.
Then you's tape and compound the patch to blend it in to the wall.
If any of these concepts are unfamiliar, check out You Tube and watch a few videos on wall hole patching.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I think in this situation, I'd use a metal drywall patch:

You stick it over the hole, use compound to feather out around it, sand, prime and paint. Pretty simple.

It will leave a small hump, but if you feather it out enough, it shouldn't look too bad.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 264

If that hole is where the rod will be put back, Ron's idea will work. The patch idea won't.
Can you take a picture?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tizzer For This Useful Post:
GottaFixIt (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
If that hole is where the rod will be put back, Ron's idea will work. The patch idea won't.
Can you take a picture?
Good catch. Didn't notice that part. And agreed
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #6

Thanks for your help everyone. Yes the rod has to go back there when fixed. Also, just to mention, it is a really awkward place to patch up, so will any of these ideas still work after having a look where it is.....
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

i dont see any framing in that wall. whats up with that?
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #8

Have you ever watched 'homes from hell'? this, in all seriousness is one of those!! The company ran out of money as they started to build and it was taken over by another company who built as cheaply as poss. I've had our patio door just out of the blue fall outwards onto the balcony smashing everywhere narrowly missing the kids among another dozen dangerous things that have happened here along with the cooker being banned from use as there was no vent/window in the kitchen. so, when you say 'no framing' I wouldn't be surprised one bit. Anyways (again excuse my ignorance) I wouldn't know what framing should be there! *blushes*
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

hang out around here long enough and you will be an expert in no time.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #10

I don't think the screw wood behind method will work here, either. At least not in that corner with known stress.

I think you'll need to open it up and get some framing in there.

Oh, and Angie, Clean Those Cobwebs!

Last edited by GottaFixIt; 08-08-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 572

Try going to youtube (http://www.youtube.com/ ) and do a search on "drywall patch".
You will find many instructional videos. Take a look at a few, and see if you are comfortable with doing it yourself.
That hole is going to need some patch pieces, but you don't need to buy an entire 4' x 8' sheet. The big box stores will have 2' x 2' drywall pieces that they sell for similar little repairs.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #12

The repair is the same whether it's in a corner or in the middle of the wall. You just apply the wood blocking to the wall stud and the top plate on those 2 sides.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would try the metal patch idea. The patch would be bent at right angles and placed in the corner. The patch then feathered with drywall compound!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I would try the metal patch idea. The patch would be bent at right angles and placed in the corner. The patch then feathered with drywall compound!
If she's remounting the rod in that location, the area needs to be rebuilt. A cosmetic cover will not work.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150

If you're going to use a same rod i see no other solution but to open up that corner and nail a stud in there.

There should be some sort of stud right behind the frame.Open up that hole a little bit and "sister" new piece next to it.

SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote