Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help... my garage is bowing out

My garage is just a pole building with no real foundation. The posts on both sides are leaning out. In the middle, the bow is at least 6-8", maybe a foot. I'm sure most carpenters/contractors would advise tearing it down and build a new one. With my 6 month old daughter, limited time and cash flow, and my lack of experience, that's not an option at this point. I hope to stabilize and put siding on to match my house. My thoughts are to bolt a cable from the posts on 1 side to the other and get some sort of crank to pull 1 side into the other. Then maybe I can scab the outside beam to the roof beams with 2X4's. Am I out of my mind? Is there any better options out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Help... my garage is bowing out-img_0345.jpg  

Last edited by jayfye86; 04-25-2012 at 10:14 AM.
jayfye86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

I doubt you are out of your mind. You seem pretty lucid to me. That said, before you pull a plan together, you need to establish the fundamental cause of the problem. This usually starts with an accurately developed framing plan, and an accurate survey to determine exactly what is out of plumb and out of level, and by how much.

In some cases, simple inspection of the framing can tell you where the problem lies. For example, some houses I have inspected lacked rafter ties, so the walls bowed out. In one house the rafters were not attached to the walls. But that is unusual, usually you have to look pretty hard and carefully to figure out the problem. Put together a framing plan, take lots of pictures, and maybe the forum can help point you in a good direction.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (04-25-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,324

how about a pic of the inside of that wall ....
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Yup....pictures please!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,372

my guess is there are no ceiling joists or they aren't nailed and the walls are spreading. You can pull the sides back in using a come-a-long or two or three, it would also help to jack the ridge up at the same time pulling with the hoist. Jack and pull at the same place, in other words, if you are hoisting at the first post on each side, jack the ridge at the same rafter, it will make it easier. By the way, it isn't easy to do and be careful the cables can get awfully tight when trying to get the building back.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Shrinking pics to 100 kb is tricky... I took a bunch but they won't upload until I successfully get them shrunk. Bear with me.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I would recommend this:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...indows-7vista/

Right click and resize, and its free.
qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #8

I finally got the new pic shrunk and it didn't add to it. Replaced the old one. I'll get some close ups of the beams
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

Here's the other inside. Until I get some close-ups...I notice a 2" or so gap in the concrete pad from where the 4X4's used to sit
Attached Thumbnails
Help... my garage is bowing out-far-side-garage.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,372

OK scratch what I said, it isn't stick framed it has trusses. Have the walls always been bowed out in the center? If not what has changed since they were straight? I don't see how they could spread unless the trusses aren't nailed into the upper plates. Are you sure it is the upper plates that are bowing out instead of the lower plate bowing in? Sight the building down the sides and see which it is.

I just saw something in the picture, are the walls that are spread the end walls or the side walls?

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 04-25-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfye86 View Post
Here's the other inside. Until I get some close-ups...I notice a 2" or so gap in the concrete pad from where the 4X4's used to sit
I don't know what you mean by this--a "gap". I suspect a close-up pic of this observation will be the key to figuring out what's going and what remedy there may be. Please provide pics of where several of the slanted poles meet the ground.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,030

Is one wall bowed out and the other bowed in if on the eave sides?
From what I can see it the pics there is no angle or V bracing in the rafters.
It may have been built this way as the OSb on the roof under the shingles should brace it.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,126

You are only showing the side walls with the gable ends. Are those the only walls bowing out? If so it's not too bad to fix.

Run several comealongs between the two walls and pull them in plumb. Run 2x4s flat from the end wall across the tops of the roof truss lower chords all the way across to the opposite wall. Nail the 2x4s into each truss. You will need to use several 2x4s to reach across the whole distance so overlap them 2 feet ( if 24" oc trusses) so that at the overlap each 2x4 is nailed into the same two trusses.

Run these 2x4 ties every 8 ft.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,030

If both walls are bowed out, then the posts can not be plumb.
V bracing and continuous bracing may be needed on top of the bottom chords of the trusses.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #15

I will try to get many more pics over the next day or 2. My job and my 6 month old make 'me time' hard to come by. Plus I already have the garage full of crap that I have to move to take photos. I don't know what a 'comealong' is. The posts and walls on the left and right are the ones really bowed out. This pic is looking down the edge of my left side wall, the worst one. The back wall leans out a little but you can hardly tell from the outside and I'm rarely behind my garage so I'm not as concerned with that wall right now. I just bought my house/garage 2 years ago and it's no worse now than it was when I bought.
Is there a way to attach multiple pics to 1 post? When I try, it copies over the first one instead of letting me upload 2+ under 1 reply.
The gap... will have photo soon... along my back wall, it appears the concrete was poured with the 4 X 4's inside the frame of frame (?)... the 2X's that were built to pour the concrete into. So the concrete was around the 4X4's on 3 sides. Over time, it appears the 4X4's leaned out so there's a gap between the post and the pad... make sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Help... my garage is bowing out-post.jpg