Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

HELP!!!! mold on attic sheeting

we bought this house 9 years ago and after living there 2 years i went up in the attic and found that the shower blower was vented strait up in the attic and blowing hot damp air. so i cut a hole in the roof and properly vented it. i sprayed the mold with bleach/water, and forgot about it for the last 7 years. now our house is up for sale and i remembered about the attic and the mold appears dead but how will this affect the sale of our house? is there anything i can do. the roof is only 10 years old.Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  40.6 KB

Last edited by indiana85; 04-24-2013 at 10:38 AM.
indiana85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I guess that would depend on whether any buyer has a concern about mold. By the pictures, it looks like it was pretty widespread. Obviously, it has not been an issue for 7 years or the roof would have rotted away, so now you are faced with a cosmetic issue. Hepa vac the dead mold carcasses off first while using a stiff brush, then see if it makes any improvement. If not, you may have to scrub it down with a detergent and a scrub brush. Put some plastic down to catch run off and wet vac it up as you go to keep the water out of the insulation and ceilings below. The final step may be to seal it with a stain blocker. The more expensive alternative would be to have a remediator dry ice blast it. FYI, for those that are susceptible, dead mold fragments and carcasses can be as allergenic as live mold.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
indiana85 (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
registered

You need to get a pro mold guy. He will spray with dry ice. It will be clean as a whistle when he is done.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

what kind of prices for dry ice removal am i looking at? $100s $1000s $10000s, about 640 square ft of sheeting

Last edited by indiana85; 04-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.
indiana85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Roofmaster

That really looks bad from the one picture you have there. The sheathing looks dry rotted. Maybe its not as bad as it looks? Have your tried to stick an ice pick into that wood?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #6

I second the dry ice method. However, this may be pretty expensive. I believe the insulation needs to be moved, sheeting sprayed, sheet dust / mold vacuumed from ground then insulation moved back...

Call around for options and prices.

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

You are certainly going to be in it for $1000s. The set up and prep time is the killer on jobs like this. Best thing is to call around. See who can do it and for how much. Just be sure to use somebody who is familiar with mold removal. Dry Ice blasting is used for other things too and you want to use somebody who knows what the objective is. Otherwise, you could end up with blasted off mold fragments in everything.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #8

You might wait until a potential buyer mentions it. I had the same situation in a house I sold last year (bathroom vent not vented properly causing the same mold) I spayed a mold killer product on it when I noticed it and years went by without it getting worse. When the buyer asked about it I told them exactly what the issue had been and how I dealt with it. After that it was never mentioned again and they bought the house.
If a buyer is still concerned you can knock a grand off the price and they can do it.

All that being said, if the wood is damaged beyond just the appearance you may have a bigger issue. In my case it was not. Good luck.

NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote