Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Help! Mold???

I have lived in my condo in Edmonton Alberta for 3 years. (It was a new build) Last week, I was given a letter signed by the chairman of the condo board, indicating that all the units in my wing were to be inspected and repaired at the expense of the builder, as there was a strong indication that the air intake ductwork for each unit had not been insulated. The workmen came today and took out a couple of drywalled areas in the ceiling where the ductwork was located. No insulation, and frost-covered!
My question is this: should my unit be checked for mold? Also, one of the workers asked me if I ever had my ceiling painted. I said of course not, and he showed me where the ceiling had been painted over to hide water staining.
I intend to take pictures of the ceiling/frost/damage. I think the builder just wants to insulate, then re-drywall, but I wonder if that's just going to hide something...any ideas?????

zelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Help! Mold???

Was thete any mold visible? "Testing" for airborne mold spores seldom tells you anything useful.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #3

Help! Mold???

I agree; unless there was evidence that (a) unacceptable moulds were present and (b) they were the toxic kind and (c) some sort of harm was done to you by the presence of that mould, I doubt you would accomplish much.

Moulds are everywhere so proving a direct cause and effect of some medical emergency you might have had will go nowhere. The builder seems to be stepping up to correct a building fault so good for him. I'm not sure if those ducts were anywhere outside the condo or just inbetween floors, but somehow moist air has entered that cavity and the intake of cold air has casued condensation, leading to drips and therefore to water marks on your ceiling. Now there's probably mould in there anyway, but proving it's the toxic kind is sort of like sterilizing your kitchen sink...nice, but unnecessary.

Sometimes we use the spray cans of primer/sealer to wipe out water mark stains instead of repainting the whole ceiling, so I'm not surprised there. Just make sure he's not conning you into a paint job...he may have to repaint anyway but not on your dime.

Just keep the relative humidity down below 50% (easy during the winter) that'll make sure moulds don't become squatters in your unit.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote