Help With Metal Building Add-on - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
wooddoc

Rewards Points: 10

Help with metal building add-on

I have an existing new metal building 32 X 64 with 12 ft walls and a 4/12 pitch metal roof with a 1 foot overhang. I had the contractor pour a 12 X 20 slab with J bolts in the appropriate places on one of the long wall sides. My plan is to add a lean-to addition attached to the existing building with the new roof tied in just under the 1 ft. overhang, and sloping down to a 9 foot tall wall. My question is this:

I have never worked with this type of corregated metal before (the ribs are raised about an inch every 9" on center), so how do I go about attaching the framing to the existing wall? I would prefer not to remove any metal if possible. Can someone advise me of how to tie in to this existing structure?

Advertisement

wooddocinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

More information would be needed to even begin to address this question.

Advertisement

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
wooddoc

Rewards Points: 10

I am looking for help here....what other kind of info do you need to get me pointed in the right direction. This lean-to addition is just going to be used as a storage area. I know all about the roof pitch, the correct metal gauge, the framing will be different than building it is being attached to though, the existing building is pole barn construction with 9 foot poles, and 2 X 6 girts every 2 feet on the 12' walls. The lean to will be stick built frame of 2 x 6's with a service entry door and a window. I know how to frame the walls and roof, I just am not sure how to attach it to the corregated metal skin correctly. Do I tie it into the top plate girt, and just notch out for the raised ribs? Any info would be appreciated.
wooddocinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

That was enough. If you are "tucking" the lean to under the existing overhang, which I would not do, you can start with blocking a header, or cutting 6 inch long blocks to attach to a full 2X6 3 feet on center...drill the blocks to prevent splitting and drive small lags into the existing building....then work out.

If you asked me to do this, we would frame off the rafter line, even if there is a pitch change, and lap the lean to roof under the roof panels, re-shooting the fasteners in the same holes, and I would simply match the existing framing exactly. That would be the correct way to do this.

The metal you are describing is a "classic" profile of panel, 9 inch ribbed 3/4 inch high with 2 low ribs. The blocking I described would "nest" between the ribs and bring a full header out to attachment.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote