Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

help me decide on a shed foundation please

Hello, okay, I'm in central Texas, San Antonio and want to begin working on my dream shed. I've finally decided on a 16x24 barn style with either 7 or 8 foot walls. A long time carpenter buddy of mine said I'd be making a mistake if I didn't go with a concrete slab foundation. Honestly, I was considering going with a pier n beam foundation with 4x4 skids sitting on solid concrete blocks with a gravel bed underneath it all. Then I was going with 2x6's for the floor joists with 3/4" ply sitting on it all. Of course everything down below will be treated lumber.

So............please help me decide. Could I get away with pier n beam or should I go with a slab? I received three quotes today for the slab pour $1500, $1300 and $1200.00. I know, I know DIY right, but I'd rather let a pro do this then I'll take over with the actual shed construction.

I know the cost of treated lumber is not cheap..........so cost does have a role in this decision......thanks.
Cruzomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

help me decide on a shed foundation please

Central Texas is known for expansive clay soil. This may be more of a problem for a house, but if this is a dream shed you really should determine if expansive soil is a potential problem. If it is, you need a special foundation design else the shed floor is likely to crack (if concrete) or go out of level if you use pier and beam.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote