Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #1

Share |

Help with Leaking Window/Windows

Hi All,
I have a big problem I could use some help with. We have one, possibly two leaking Windows. I have called out a few home repair type people who all tell me different things. My observations and notes are listed below.. Please forgive me if I use the wrong term when describing this, i'm not much of a handyman.

The house was built 4 years ago, the pictures I have are from when the house was built. To view the pictures I have
visit http://www.gregandholly.com/images and view the pictures that start with 102.First and foremost the windows only leak occassionaly (at least from what I can see) This may not be true.
The windows are punched out into a wood frame structure as seen in the pictures. Obviously I don't think this
is the best design, the eave above really doesn't overhang enough to offer any protection from the wood below. The
house was built according to plans so it wasn't a goof. We started with water driping from the top window from the inside top of the frame onto the lower sill. This lasted
for awhile and after I caulked and painted it seemed to go away. The same thing is happening on the lower window, leaking from the top of the frame and driping on the lower sill. On the outside we have developed some soft wood mostly right below the top window and it is extremely bad below the lower window.

At first I thought the problem might be related to the roof above.. I had someone come out and reshingle it and at that
time I noticed in the corners of the dormer/eave where the angled wood meets the shingles in the corner I had a 3/4 inch gap on each side. I think this is called the Apron. I thought maybe water is hitting up there and running into the corners. A couple of people told me this was highly unlikely. I attempted to caulk the gaps on each side, I did the best I could but the gap was really too big for caulk. It didn't seem to have a positive or negative affect. One thing to note
from inside the house we have absolutely no water damage above the 2nd window. This also
makes me think the gaps in the corners of the eave/dormer are probably are not related to the leaking windows.
When you view the windows from the outside you see absolutely no gaps around the windows. Could
it still be possible the windows could leak if they were not installed properly. I think I remember
my builder telling me this type window installation didn't require flashing.If you need more pictures or anything let me know. I'm definetly stressing out about this. The only think I know to possibly do is replace both windows and the wood which is soft/rotting.

Thanks,
Greg
Atlanta

Last edited by Gaprofitt; 09-13-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Gaprofitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #2

Could you post a photo here? Unable to view your photos.

All windows should have flashing installed. It sounds like yours are just below an overhand that is splashing water onto the windows, more of a reason to have flashing.

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #3

Here you go.

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Leaking Window/Windows-102-0274_img-small-.jpg   Help with Leaking Window/Windows-102-0300_img-small-.jpg   Help with Leaking Window/Windows-103-0339_img-small-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #4

What do you have on the house for moisture barrier? Do you have backer rod and sealant joints around your windows as per most window mfgrs. specs?
stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuccoman View Post
What do you have on the house for moisture barrier? Do you have backer rod and sealant joints around your windows as per most window mfgrs. specs?
I don't think any of my house has Tyvek house wrap or any moisture barrier. Would I physically see the flashing around the window without tearing wood out? I suspect they didn't flash either of these Windows and recall the builder telling me that. Most of the wood below the bottom window is soft feeling and needs to be replaced. Once I rip out the wood how would I install flashing, what type etc. It seems to only leak with wind driven rain. I can't find anyone in my local Atlanta area to help, everyone wants to just apply caulking. I think they are hesistant because it would be a pretty big job to take the windows out and flash them. One thing I was wondering is if the windows don't have flashing is that pretty much a guarantee as to why it leaks. I'd hate to replace all that wood and then have to rip it out again.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

It's hard to tell by those pics, but, I wonder if the windows were properly flashed and sealed. The tops don't look like they are properly sealed. ???????

Whatever the situation really is, the only way to find the real problem may involve dimantling the the exterior casing and getting down to the windows. .... Sorry to say....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-07-2006 at 07:59 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
World famous jerk.

I don't see a stitch of flashing in any of those pics. Small wonder that they're leaking.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote