Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help identifying load bearing wall and flooring help! (video)

Hi!

This is best show to you guys on video.

I'd like your guys input on the load bearing wall.. should be load bearing but doesn't seem to look it?

Also a quick question on flooring and what to do.. We'd like to put hardwood in the kitchen or some sort of ceramic tile..

mikedavid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #2

That absolutely looks like a load bearing wall to me. That wall is the one on the left when facing the foyer correct?

My best advice to you would to have a pro look at this. With that said, if it were my house, I'd feel completely confident in calling that a load bearing wall. The ends of the joist terminate at that wall. They are absolutely resting on it.

The reason you're OK with the cut top plate is due to the fact that the joists are right over top of the studs, so in essence you have two load bearing walls. Whether or not code allows that, I have no idea.

The gaps and cracks and what not are the imperfections in the wood that you're seeing. It's likely that a couple of pieces slightly warped and split. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

tldr; looks load bearing to me, however a pro will give you a professional opinion. Still looks load bearing to me regardless.

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #3

I agree, if the wall is over the steel beam, it is load bearing. It may be OK to cut top plates(check local code), since the load is all verticle.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Carpenter/Rehabber

The above responses are correct, from your video I would say that is load bearing.

The things you point out that lead you to believe it is not, you are misunderstanding.

Such as the small gaps, the load above is distributed to a degree across the double top plate. So a small gap here or there does not indicate otherwise. You have to think of the wall as a single structure not individual pieces.

As for the ducting cut. Plumbers and HVAC guys butcher framing all the time. If there is a critical piece of support somewhere, guaranteed, they will find it and do unspeakable things.

The overlap of the joists has been done like that for forever, It's the same on a 125 year old house.

Additionally from your video it looks like your house was framed with a technique called "Full Circle" framing which essentially is lining up joists, studs and rafters/trusses to create an unbroken line of support from foundation to roof. Just some possible trivia about your home.

Don't remove or alter that wall without having an engineer/architect/professional/permit or you could end up like this guy,

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bar/1639463646.html

ps next time you are going to make a video showing the details of your construction/home/floor put off drinking the pot of coffee till after you are done.

Last edited by moorewarner; 04-03-2010 at 05:32 AM.
moorewarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Carpenter/Rehabber

On the flooring, that is not plywood it's lauan, probably glued down, it was put down to smooth out the irregularities of the sub-floor for the linoleum.

The addition of "strength" from it is nominal. If you want all your floor the same height (assuming you are putting down the same flooring throughout) then, yes, you either have to pull up the Luan in the kitchen or put it down on the rest of the floor.

Last edited by moorewarner; 04-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.
moorewarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

Thanks for the great replies!
I hope that flooring stuff isn't hard to remove.

I'm glad to finally know a bit about the framing of my house!
mikedavid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedavid00 For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (04-03-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #7

As mentioned the wall is definitely load bearing.
You said that you wanted to remove an additional section of wall. It is possible to do this. The floor joists will need to be shored up (temporarily supported). A section of the joists will need to be cut out to make room for a beam that fits in this channel. The joists will then need to be supported with joist hangars. The new beam will be picked up by posts that bear on the steel beam in the basement.
Hire an architect or engineer to get this work permitted.
I thought your video was very descriptive.

Alex Damgaard is offline   Reply With Quote