Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
DIYFrau

Share |
Exclamation

Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?

I'm in the middle of remodelling my enclosed porch-got the old floor up, ready to put in the new one, and I just found out all the wood under the aluminum threshold is rotten! Now what? The floor itself in the porch is OK, it's just right under the door. The porch is an addition, and there's no concrete under it, just dirt I think. I cleared out alot of the rotten wood, and it seems to go right down to the bottom! If I can get the aluminum threshold out (not sure how?) then how do I replace the wood under there? I don't know what I would attach it to?
There's aluminum siding covering the outside under the door, but I suspect the wood behind it is also rotten. I need some advice fast- I'm on holidays next week and that's my time frame to get the floor in. If I can remove the existing threshold, how do I fix the problem and get a new one in?
Thanks in advance

glamgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #2

pics,then we can walk you through it

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
DIYFrau

Here they are...as you can see, it's rotten! I've cleared out alot of the the crumbled wood, but there's more to do...and I need to get the threshold out.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2726.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2728.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2727.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2729.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
DIYFrau

Ok, here's the mess under the threshold!
Attached Thumbnails
Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2731.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2732.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2733.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #5

You will need to pull the flooring up in the room back about 2 feet to access the structure under the door. You will probably need to replace the structure under and to either side of the door. If the floor joists run perpendicular to the door , the ends are probably rotten as well.
Pull the floor and post more pictures.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Mod

You got the sill out, next step is to get all of the mess cleaned up so were looking at foundation and what’s left of the wood
Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
DIYFrau

Ok, I got all the crap out...here's some more pics. There is a solid something (railway tie maybe?) at the bottom...not rotten! Yay! I think it's sitting on concrete blocks..I see them from the outside under the walls.
Unfortunately, under the door jambs and walls isn't looking too good...crap! One thing leads to another in this joint! I can't replace under all the walls! Can I?
It's weird, the floor is solid though?
Suggestions fellas?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-straight-down.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-outside-inside.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-under-doorjamb-.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #8

It might help to describe the pictures a bit. It is hard to guess what we're looking at.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Mod

Those pictures are a little to close up for me but long story short you need to replace the rotted wood with new. That means whatever is in the way of doing that must also be removed. Whether it’s the door, flooring, part of the deck, siding, whatever is in the way.

I always try to and usually am able to do these kind of repairs from the outside, not always possible though. I don’t like tearing up the inside of someone’s house if I can avoid it.

A couple of stand back pictures would help from the outside and in.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-26-2010 at 05:42 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
DIYFrau

In my last post, the first image is looking straight down into the space between the floor & the outside...the preen pain ted wood at the bottom is the originsl wood siding, long since covered with aluminum siding. You can see the floorboards on the other side.

The second image is taken outside looking into the doorway. This is the state of the wood under the edge of the floor. Not good.

The last image is the sides of the doorframe underneath..I stuck the camera in the space. You can see that the wood is bad under the door jambs and (probably) the walls. The dark green paint is the doorjamb.

I hope that helps...and hers a couple of further away shots too.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2740.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2739.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #11

I see you removing most of this wall. If there are windows on the wall, all of it will probably be removed.
Ron
Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
DIYFrau

Thanks Ron, but removing the wall is not an option. Hell, if that's the case, I might as well tear down the whole porch, and since I just spent a bundle of time & some money redoing it....not a chance!
There has to be another way.

What about pouring a mixture of gravel & concrete in there? That would solidify it...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #13

never pour concrete onto untreated wood you have quite abit of work there but i like the way you talk,you will get it
like the others said you have to get back to solid wood and rebuild it back using treated lumber,3 1/2'' deck screws will help you attach blocking to the existing wood

Last edited by Tom Struble; 07-26-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgirrl View Post
Thanks Ron, but removing the wall is not an option. Hell, if that's the case, I might as well tear down the whole porch, and since I just spent a bundle of time & some money redoing it....not a chance!
There has to be another way.

What about pouring a mixture of gravel & concrete in there? That would solidify it...
Pouring concrete in the hole would only accelerate the damage.
You need to open the floor to see the extent of the damage and then repair it appropriately. If you don't, it will just continue to deteriorate.
Ron
Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
DIYFrau

I opened the floor as suggested...after a stiff shot to give me courage! LOL

It doesn't look as bad as I had feared, only the rim joist is rotten, and only the portion of it under the door and a bit under the walls. I think I can replace that section, joist to joist, and be OK. Now I need a pressure treated 2x8x8..figures, I have 2x6 & 2x4!

Am I going to need to prop up the walls to do this? The whole wall is only 8', minus the doorway. The corners are on concrete thank goodness! And I was right, it looks like railway ties under the rim joist. It is dirt underneath, as I thought. Soft too.

So guys, am I on the right track? Replace that section of rim joist, and build the doorway back up with PT wood? Replace my floorboards with 3/4" ply, and then lay my new plank floor....sound right?
Thanks,
Cheryl
Attached Thumbnails
Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2745.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2746.jpg   Help! How do I fix rotten wood under door?-dscf2747.jpg