Help With Garage Ceiling Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with garage ceiling joists

Hey all, I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice. I have a detached garage that is 26'x28'. I am looking to make some upgrades to it but need to figure out how to make the framing right first. It has a few ceiling joists that are 2x6 and appear to be one piece of wood running the whole length of the garage (26 foot). They are 52" on center. I know that's basically not good enough for anything. Here are some pics:

The joists are braced to the rafters in 3 places along their span. Right now what I'm looking to do is put in new garage doors and automatic openers. So I will definitely need a new joist on which to hang the powerhead for the openers. But if I'm looking to insulate and finish the ceiling in the future I will need a bunch more joists. What would be my best options for this? Thanks.

~Eric

Advertisement

EKennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help with garage ceiling joists

2x's in place are merely rafter ties, holding the walls together to prevent them spreading out
I don't even think #2 grade 2x12's will span 26'
You would probably need a beam down the middle to support ceiling joists
Putting up drywall & insulation ?

Local lumber yard could run the numbers for spans & give you options

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote