Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Share |
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


I'm new to framing and I need help with framing a gable dormer. The pitch of the main roof is 5/12. The pitch of the gable is 6/12. The width of the dormer is 4 feet inside. The height of the dormer wall is 7ft-2in. I need to know how to frame the gable roof of the dormer. Any help will be great. Thanks.

jweston144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,318
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Sheet the roof, set the ridge, snap the valley, and fill in.

What happened to your framer?

__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


What do you need help with? Laying out and cutting the rafters?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,459
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Roof Framing 101

More roof framing
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
What do you need help with? Laying out and cutting the rafters?
I need to know how to build the ridge of the gable dormer and how to connect the gable dormer with the main roof (the valley).
jweston144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Sheet the roof, set the ridge, snap the valley, and fill in.

What happened to your framer?
I am the owner/framer. I need help to set the ridge and snap the valley. I cannot figure out how to do it.
jweston144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Quote:
Originally Posted by jweston144 View Post
I am the owner/framer. I need help to set the ridge and snap the valley. I cannot figure out how to do it.
What size rafters and ridge are you using? Can you take a picture from the front of the dormer looking back so we can see the framing of the main roof where the ends of the dormer plates hit?
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Quote:
Originally Posted by jweston144 View Post
I'm new to framing and I need help with framing a gable dormer. The pitch of the main roof is 5/12. The pitch of the gable is 6/12. The width of the dormer is 4 feet inside. The height of the dormer wall is 7ft-2in. I need to know how to frame the gable roof of the dormer. Any help will be great. Thanks.
Why are your rafters on spliced on a kneewall and not one length?
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
What size rafters and ridge are you using? Can you take a picture from the front of the dormer looking back so we can see the framing of the main roof where the ends of the dormer plates hit?
The rafter of the gable dorm is 2x4 and the ridge is 2x6. Here are more photos:
http://i52.tinypic.com/imq7ih.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/mawk7t.jpg
The closest dormer in this photo shows my attempt in building the top of the dormer (2x6 ridge and 2x4 rafter). I don't know how to build the valley between the dormer and the main roof.
http://i54.tinypic.com/29lyb8i.jpg (front close-up of one of the dormer)
http://i51.tinypic.com/2a59go.jpg (rear close-up of one of the dormer)
http://i56.tinypic.com/2vnkmxh.jpg (looking out from the rear of the dormer)

Last edited by jweston144; 11-14-2010 at 10:33 PM.
jweston144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Get the fascia and sheathing on the main deck first, a lot easier walking around the dormers. When you sheath up to the blocking, drill or notch them if a vented attic as per local B.D.
Any snow load?

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


Quote:
Originally Posted by jweston144 View Post
The rafter of the gable dorm is 2x4 and the ridge is 2x6. Here are more photos:
http://i52.tinypic.com/imq7ih.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/mawk7t.jpg
The closest dormer in this photo shows my attempt in building the top of the dormer (2x6 ridge and 2x4 rafter). I don't know how to build the valley between the dormer and the main roof.
http://i54.tinypic.com/29lyb8i.jpg (front close-up of one of the dormer)
http://i51.tinypic.com/2a59go.jpg (rear close-up of one of the dormer)
http://i56.tinypic.com/2vnkmxh.jpg (looking out from the rear of the dormer)
How did you frame the rafters on the first one in that one picture?
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,318
Default

Help with Gable Dorm


As GBR said your next step is to get the roof sheeted on the dormer side anyway. Then you set your dormer ridge to the sheathing, cut the common rafters on the dormer, string and cut the tails of those rafters. Then string line the rafter tails to see where they intersect the main roof. Mark that and snap a line between that mark and where the dormer ridge hits the main roof then frame to that line. I lay some 1x back from the line for the valley rafters to sit on, reinforcing the sheathing.

__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gable dormer


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need the gable vents bjakeski Roofing/Siding 4 08-17-2010 05:17 PM
Installing gable vent from inside attic? RDS Roofing/Siding 0 03-12-2010 01:13 PM
Gable fan and Whole house fan jckkcj Roofing/Siding 8 08-26-2009 12:55 PM
Big trouble with gable vents! Beth777 Building & Construction 9 08-11-2008 07:32 AM
Changing gable over hip roof to gable end billybarty Building & Construction 2 03-11-2008 11:20 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.