Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #1

Share |

Help - Framing Question

Hey everyone,

I'm working on my DIY basement reno, and I just wanted to get some clarification as to how I should frame around my window. The window is maybe 1.5 feet top to bottom just on the top of my basement. What is the correct way to frame around this? There is a metal frame on the window, do I leave a 5/8 gap on that for drywall or what?

Thanks a lot!!
dstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #2

Help - Framing Question

I have the same question. The top of my basement windows extend several inches above the bottom of the floor joists. I've already begun framing around some of them and I'm having trouble securing the top plate in the top corners of the walls since the windows are very close to the corners of the basement.
radzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
SNC

Help - Framing Question

got a picture ??
SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #4

Help - Framing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNC View Post
got a picture ??
Excuse the mess...

Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #5

Help - Framing Question

Aren't you securing the top plate to the joists above?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #6

Help - Framing Question

Yes but not around the window, you can't really see it properly but there are not joists in front of the window, the window goes right upto floor level.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
SNC

Help - Framing Question

put blocking between those joist, flush with the lower edge and your ceiling sheetrock can run right up to the window as far as i can tell from your pic
SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #8

Help - Framing Question

But in terms of framing, how far should my 2x4 for framing around (sides, beneath) the window come? Should it be flush with where the concrete and metal window frame meet or should i leave a gap for drywall there?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Help - Framing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstylez View Post
But in terms of framing, how far should my 2x4 for framing around (sides, beneath) the window come? Should it be flush with where the concrete and metal window frame meet or should i leave a gap for drywall there?
This is a very difficult question to answer because the picture really shows nothing anyone can comment on. Try taking one or two standing where that bookcase is, and maybe we can join in the discussion more adequately.

I "think" you are trying to ask a question about the framing for the 90 degree "return" from the wall surface to the actual window edge. But I'm not sure. This really does need some clear close-up photos from several angles.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #10

Help - Framing Question

agree with Willie... Are you talking about the inside of the window, the sill area? I suggest drywalling to the face of the 2x4 window frame and then using trim (or just 1x something) to make it look nice. Like this basically...

Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #11

Help - Framing Question

Sorry guys, here are some pics...
What i'm trying to figure out is how close should my framing come to the window? (or the window frame..the metal one)

That top plate I put will be cut at the window, I know that, I just need to know how much space to leave at the other sides.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #12

Help - Framing Question

I'm sorry, that's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #13

Help - Framing Question

I usually put a stud on either side of the window
Depending upon the window I may leave enough room for sheetrock
Or I may run the sheetock all the way into the window, or use wood
I put a 2x under the window like a sill plate - I use wood instead of sheetrock
I angle the window opening up as needed top let as much light in as possible
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Help - Framing Question

Personally, I would look up at that area of joists that are built in a "boxed out" fashion in the ceiling.

I would stop my new doubled wall framing right there. Make it match so that when drywall is applied to the ends of the new wall it will run all the way up into that recess.

Then I would simply drywall the original wall in that area, taking all the drywall to the edge of the existing window, and turning the corner to run the drywall back into the front face of the window frame.

After the drywall was all finished and painted. I would build shelves across that 3 or 4 foot area. Start about 6" up off the floor, and put a shelf about every 15". (Work out good-looking spacing.)

And I would keep the top shelf about 20" down from the bottom of the window.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #15

Help - Framing Question

use 1/2 inch to rock to the window, but 5/8 if you want to rock those blinds.. lol.. (sorry, couldnt resist the joke). Tough to make window suggestions with the blinds covering them.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote