Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Share |

Help framing angled wall

Hi all - I am finishing my basement, and the 2x4 wall framing has gone pretty smoothly so far, and I have learned a ton from reading this forum!

I have one angled wall around the HVAC to save a little space, but I am at a loss for how I can support the drywall in this corner.

Attached are photos of my current wall, and a sample picture of the angle I am working with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

cgeorg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Help framing angled wall

if your ceiling is strapped. (1x4 furring strips nailed to the underside of the joists) just slide some extra strapping in over the top plate nailed to two joists at the corner both on the inside and outside of the wall

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Help framing angled wall

If you are talking about backing at the wall cut a 45* angle on a stud and place it at the corner. If your talking about the ceiling cut a board the width of the space between the trusses and cut a board that will go on top of the bottom cord of the truss nail both together and nail thru the bottom cord of truss.
Rocket98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

Help framing angled wall

Assuming your wall is solid and you don't need to add any bracing to it:

Place some pieces of scrap material on top of the wall you've built and screw them from underneath.

Done.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
JOATMON

Help framing angled wall

Based on how my house was done.....

I had one wall that ran between ceiling joists.....so they nailed a 2x6 on top of the top plate.....

But then again.....I was reading another article on effecient ways to do drywall.....since you do the ceiling first....as long as your span is not too far...not an issue....because you do the ceiling first...then the walls...the drywall on the side walls supports the ceiling drywall at the corners.....and I read one comment where they said that this was less likely to crack since the top drywall will float with the walls.

Hopefully....some of the experienced experts will chim in to correct me if I'm wrong.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

Help framing angled wall

If it is the wall drywall you are concerned with. The angle looks like it is not 45. You can rip a 2x4 to the angle and cut to the width needed. or easier to add 2x4 blocks every 16". these blocks are cut to the angle needed to fit, nail or screw into the 2 studs, make sure a block lands on your joint in the 2 sheets of drywall (assuming the drywall is horizontal.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Help framing angled wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeorg07 View Post
Hi all - I am finishing my basement, and the 2x4 wall framing has gone pretty smoothly so far, and I have learned a ton from reading this forum!

I have one angled wall around the HVAC to save a little space, but I am at a loss for how I can support the drywall in this corner.

Attached are photos of my current wall, and a sample picture of the angle I am working with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I always rip a 2x4 wall stud in half on whatever angle is needed to fit the corner and then put/nail the two halves together on the outside corner forming the corner. if the corner needs bracing I will add that middle way of the span of the wall and tie the bracing back into the wall...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
JOATMON

Help framing angled wall

This is not the best example....but I'm not home (in another country right now) so I can't take pics of how I did the odd corners.....

Basically.....use a table saw to rip one corner to the angle.....

In your case, I would have taken a 4x4 and cut one side at an angle to match the corner....maybe a bit overkill....but I find the 4x4 are actually easier to work with rather than trying to nail a bunch of 2x4's together.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Help framing angled wall

for the outside corner you can make it in one peice with the rip.. . rip a 2x4 on the angle using hte edge of the 2x4 as your long point.. when you go to align the short point of hte angle at the outside point of the corner both top and bottom for the inside corner a 2x4 flush with the inside edge ofthe plate is all thats needed. a

the issue with floating the board is that it makes it harder to tape. the board can flex which can make for a sloppy corner and if its ever hit the corner will just blow out there has to be a fastening base within 2 inches of the inside and outside corner
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

Help framing angled wall

Backing for drywall on the ceiling? Like kt said earlier. If the top of your wall is at the right height. Wider blocks or overhung 2x4 on top of your plate fastened with screws up through your top plate.

tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #11

Help framing angled wall

If it's the corner:

As others have pointed out, you can just rip a 2x4 on a table saw, or even with a circular saw (harder but doable) to the proper angle.

Sure looks like you have plenty of room to fit one in and nail, or screw it into place.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #12

Help framing angled wall

All - Thank you so very much for the replies. I was concerned about the drywall backing at the corner of this wall. I ripped the 2x4's as most suggested here to get a tight corner.

The great ideas here helped me to think a bit differently on the approach, and definitely saved me a few hours of contemplating!

Today is electrical (not me), then inspection for my basement. This has been quite a challenging, and rewarding first construction experience for a first time home buyer!

cgeorg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cgeorg07 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-15-2012)