Help Finnishing Outdoor Room - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help finnishing outdoor room

Hi guys, first i would like to introduce myself. My name is Drew, i have no fancy resume with woodwork, this is my first project. I am 19 years old, and money is very limiting. I currently built a small 8' x 8' room in my backyard to help turn my home more active.

The total cost of this investment was roughly 500 dollars, and surprisingly it survived a 5.4 earthquake already (nice shelter i suppose). The problem i am having is trying to finish it. I used OSB wood throughout the exterior, and now i am looking to dress her up nicely, but yet affordably (surprised that's not a word). There are cracks at which wood panels do not exactly match up, and corners that will need to be shaped. I was thinking stucco, but i do not think the walls will hold up. I need something light weight i guess.

Thanks for your help.
-Drew

Advertisement

rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

...ummm....Paint?....

Is this a serious post?

(electrical outlet = )

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #3

It's a serious post... like i said, this is my first project. I have read that painted OSB doesn't finish well.

And yes, that is an electrical outlet. I put the weather bracket around it to make it waterproof.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Custom Deck Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Sheets of exterior primed T1-11 - you can get them w/ grooves every 4", 8" or not at all.
Stagger your seams and make sure you properly waterproof the structure to prevent rot, mold and deterioration.

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #5

Thanks mac for the input, i am unfamiliar with t1-11, what is that?

I do need to do something with the foundation, i have no clue as to why i built this straight on wood... call me a moron.

Any ideas on how to fish this project?

thank you
Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
Thanks mac for the input, i am unfamiliar with t1-11, what is that?
Link:
http://www.rfpco.com/pdfs/Breckenridge.pdf
Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

I would rip that garden window out, put some shutters on the front, Then get some cabana matting made from dried up palmtree leaves and cover the OSB with that. Then all you need is a kegarator a blender some more palmtrees w/coconuts. And your backyard Cabana will be complete. lol. Oh and move that fire pit away sparks and dried palmtree leaves don't mix well.

Last edited by James Con; 08-25-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Added safety concern
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Con View Post
I would rip that garden window out, put some shutters on the front, Then get some cabana matting made from dried up palmtree leaves and cover the OSB with that. Then all you need is a kegarator a blender some more palmtrees w/coconuts. And your backyard Cabana will be complete. lol. Oh and move that fire pit away sparks and dried palmtree leaves don't mix well.

If money wasn't an issue, i'd invest more money into this project. I am a college student, and it's time to get my priorities straight. That palm tree that you see in the picture is plastic, you can see the leaves fading color. I do not want to make a roof with palm tree leaves, that will result in an insect problem. You are right about the fire pit though, it is really close to the window. I designed the garden window so that it can be removed at will, and it turns into a bar (as you can see with the granite piece under it).

I would have a keg, but i would find myself studying a lot less, therefore i am sticking with miller high life bottles. There was a point this summer where i had a wine rack full of 32oz Miller high life bottles, lets just say it wasn't the brightest idea mixing the bonfire and a ton of alcohol for obvious reasons :-D.

-Raw
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

I have seen this picture before? Has this been posted before, a while ago? On a different forum?

Drew - What is the intent of this structure? Why are you investing in this? Who owns the ground it sits on? Do it right or don't do it would be my suggestion. Save the money and don't take this any further.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 AM   #10

No, i do not think you've seen this picture anywhere because it's the first time putting it onto a forum. The land is owned by my parents. The intent of the structure is basically an outdoor gym, storage, or even a small fooseball gameroom.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #11

why do you say you dont think the walls will hold up for stucco ? was it not framed properly? their are products that are not as heavy as conventional stucco
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
why do you say you dont think the walls will hold up for stucco ? was it not framed properly? their are products that are not as heavy as conventional stucco
I have 4 2x4 beams going up the sides, which means 2ft gaps between them.

The front and back is built almost to code (i believe) with a gap of 15 inches (6 beams on a 8ft long wall)
Old 08-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #13

their is more to it then 2x4 for the walls.they should be 16" oc but what it the foundation and the bottom and top plates how is it all tied together and how is the roof tied in.If all was framed right their would be not problem with a stucco finish like say compro flex or any other finish you wanted to put on.This is where you will get your strength from and how the place will stay standing .How did you get this inspected and if you didn't you should have then maybe it would have been done right.If you don't know what the basics of how this was built I would suggest you take it down and start over again but this time do it right or you may find it all sitting on the ground after a strong wind or better yet if you needed a permit someone may report it then you would be looking at alot more work and a few fines to go with it.This whole post is not sounding to good to me
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
their is more to it then 2x4 for the walls.they should be 16" oc but what it the foundation and the bottom and top plates how is it all tied together and how is the roof tied in.If all was framed right their would be not problem with a stucco finish like say compro flex or any other finish you wanted to put on.This is where you will get your strength from and how the place will stay standing .How did you get this inspected and if you didn't you should have then maybe it would have been done right.If you don't know what the basics of how this was built I would suggest you take it down and start over again but this time do it right or you may find it all sitting on the ground after a strong wind or better yet if you needed a permit someone may report it then you would be looking at alot more work and a few fines to go with it.This whole post is not sounding to good to me

oh it wont fall from the wind... it survived an earthquake already and some heavy santa ana wind. The base is two treated 4x6 with 2x4 running across them to form a deck. The space between 2x4 is 1inch. 2x4 are run up by 2x4 connecting to the b ottom 4x6 piece.

not pretty, but sturdy :-D

I most likely am going to hoist it up and put some bricks underneath it.

The top roof is held by three A-frames.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #15

Quote:

"One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15 m2)"
Source: http://www.buenapark.com/4city/com_d...mit_assist.htm

I obviously do not need a permit, i do not know what you're talking about.

Thanks for your reply.

Advertisement

Last edited by rawimpact; 08-28-2008 at 03:27 PM.