Help Find Leak Around Window? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help find leak around window?

I have 3 windows in our walkout basement. Of those 3 windows, 2 leak water every time it rains.

I had a siding guy come out to try and figure out where the water is coming in from.

We started at the basement windows spraying water at the wall working our way up. We were above the basement window spaying water and no water came in.

Work our way up above the deck sprayed more water and no water came in.

Work out way up to the windows on the main 1st/main floor and we noticed that water started to come in the basement windows.

According the siding guy, from what he saw, the windows weren't flashed, the J-channels weren't even, and he made a comment about tyvek tape.
I'm sure there is tape but he didn't go behind the siding, he said made it needed new tape.

Could the water be coming in from the 1st floor windows and working its way down to the basement?

If this can happen, shouldn't we see water on the main floor as well then?

Advertisement

jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,514

A leak free siding installation is all about the prep work before the first piece of siding ever touches the wall.

It sounds like you localized it to a window and yes, issues there can result with water in the basement.

There’s a handful of details behind the siding that could be causing this. The next step is to remove some siding and figure out what mistakes were made in the first place and correct them.

I could sit here and speculate but all of the answers should become obvious once some siding is removed.

If you decide to DIY then post some pictures, there are a few here that could (and are willing to) walk you through.

If you plan to hire this out stay away from the guy that just looks at the wall and says “you need new tape”.

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-19-2012 at 07:30 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 534

It would have taken him all of 5 min. to have popped off some siding to take a look at the tape.

I also would have been looking at the way they ran the J molding above the window to make sure they tabed it over at the top.
If there not windows with built in J moulding then there also should have been Z moulding at the top of the window before the J went on.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

The siding guy came out as a favor to the contractor who built our deck.
Deck guy wanted to confirm that the leak was NOT deck related.
So the siding guy looked at the windows, ran the water, and made his recommendations on what he thought the problem was.

So should we seal the windows the first to completely rule them out and then work our way to another area of the wall?

I think I'm pretty handy around the house. I've done my share of home projects. This window issue... I know nothing about windows. I'd hate to take a stab at it, make it worse and really have a water problem after I'm done.
jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote