HELP! Emergency! Load Bearing Wall???!!! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HELP! Emergency! Load bearing wall???!!!

I recently had 5, yes FIVE contractors out to ensure me that I did not have a load-bearing wall before I removed it! Now I have cracks forming in the peak of the ceiling where it's joined to the wall! YES, I'm panicking! I was told that I have a HIP ROOF and that it's not even touching the wall I removed. Can anyone else confirm this? I may have a different problem that just happened to occur after I removed the wall.

Here's a sketch... I removed the RED wall. It's cracking at the top of the facing green wall where it meets the roof. HELP! I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. Seriously, so upset.

Advertisement

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 11-30-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: 2 threads merged
scubadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #2

I recently had a few paid contractors, and even 2 friends that were contractors, come out to ensure me that I did not have a load-bearing wall before I removed it.

Now, I have cracks forming in the peak of the ceiling where it's joined to the wall.

I was told that I have a HIP ROOF and that it's not even touching the wall I removed. Can anyone else confirm this? I may have a different problem that just happened to coincidentally occur after I removed the wall.

Here's a sketch... I removed the RED wall. It's cracking at the top of the facing green wall where it meets the roof.

I thought I did everything right by having it confirmed.

Please, I don't need criticisms or ugly comments.

Kind helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by scubadiva; 11-30-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: An unexpected, unemployed azz in the forum named wing-nut
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiva

I recently had 5, yes FIVE contractors out to ensure me that I did not have a load-bearing wall before I removed it! Now I have cracks forming in the peak of the ceiling where it's joined to the wall! YES, I'm panicking! I was told that I have a HIP ROOF and that it's not even touching the wall I removed. Can anyone else confirm this? I may have a different problem that just happened to occur after I removed the wall.

Here's a sketch... I removed the RED wall. It's cracking at the top of the facing green wall where it meets the roof. HELP! I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. Seriously, so upset.
Most likely was a load bearing wall. Let me guess, your rafters laid right across those two walls.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #4

I had a Roofing Truss guy say that they did not and a GC said that the wall was 110% NOT load bearing. I'm having him go out and look right now.

He just called me a worry wart....and I hope he's right.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

sounds like a govt program
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiva View Post
I had a Roofing Truss guy say that they did not and a GC said that the wall was 110% NOT load bearing. I'm having him go out and look right now.

He just called me a worry wart....and I hope he's right.
I hope it's not a huge problem.... let us know what he says, OK?

DM
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

Thank you. I will let you know. and YES, it does sound like a gov. program!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

He said I had a double truss up there supporting the roof and nothing was touching the wall we removed. It's been spiking from hot to cold to hot here lately and since he's had the door open, he said the drywall is separating from the seams and it's only a coincidence that it's cracking there now that we've taken down the wall.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

If they've all looked above the ceiling, and at least one has confirmed a double truss above the red line, then all you're seeing is a little shifting where the truss/drywall is adjusting. It's too early in the season to be seeing truss uplift and you wouldn't see that on the outside wall anyway. I believe you're fine but keep an eye on it
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Can't tell for sure without knowing where the roof touches down. If it's a hip roof then the outside walls would be the load bearing, pretty easy to spot from the attic, it's the only walls where the roof touches down.
The issue you have MIGHT be related to the wall helping to support the drywall.

I think you're going to have to post some pics. A few of the cracks and maybe from the attic.
KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #11

Thank you for the peace of mind. The wall was removed about 3 weeks ago. So I'm hoping it's just the heat and cold making it crack. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #12

I will post some photos of cracks and attic tonight. Better safe than sorry. I really value your thoughts on this. Thank you very much!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Now isn't this nicer? Po)

DM
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,052

The purple line is your Hip Master, or girder hip truss. The green one should also be a double, to carry the extension's common trusses. The red one could be a double to carry the bottom (8')? chords of the corner set trusses. This should have a double hanger on it. The wall at the red/purple joint could have been installed before the roof frame (all trusses) were loaded (shingled). Removing that wall supporting the hip master and the corner set could slightly drop that area to cause cracking of the tape joints. The H.M. wouldn't move as much as the corner set, so it parts elevation slightly. If lacking a hanger on ANY of the doubled trusses, get it fixed now.

Gary
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #15

Yes, DM... thank you. Much nicer.

Gary.. Thank you so much, I truly appreciate you insight. I will check on this right away!

Advertisement