Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #1

Share |

Help! Drywall Ceiling

My husband and I are having a dilemma! We have tried and tried and tried again to get the joints smooth on the ceiling, but to no avail! Should we just give up! We wanted a smooth ceiling mainly because we like it and also because we didn't want to attempt a textured ceiling (knockdown) and we do not like popcorn ceilings. Would it be better to maybe use a textured paint? Do you think it might cover the imperfections? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
kimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Help! Drywall Ceiling

If the seams are not smooth, even applied thick texture will not cover it, let alone something that is thinner, like textured paint.

It's time to call in a pro, to get it smooth.

(Don't fret, we have gotten such similar calls to fix similar situations)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #3

Help! Drywall Ceiling

I concur, call a pro. OR just practice more and use more time and delay the project and sand alot and make more dust and, well, you get the picture.

Sometimes we can't do it all ourselves, no matter what they show on TV.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #4

Help! Drywall Ceiling

Yeah, I think you guys are right! We are sooo sick of sanding and I am sooo sick of dusting! Anyway, it seems to show mainly when the light is streaming in through the windows, (did I mention it was a basement)? So we were planning on putting shutters on the windows, SO we will keep them partially closed then we won't see the mess! When funds allow we will either get someone to fix them or get a PROFESSIONAL to do the knockdown technique.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
kimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #5

Help! Drywall Ceiling

Just remember that they need to be smooth and flat FIRST, because the knockdown won't cover the bad seams. Since they have to be made smooth first, you may just want to have them skim coat it and get your smooth ceiling.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #6

Help! Drywall Ceiling

I'm not understanding.....was it new drywall you put up? what size of trowel or drywall knife are you using? is there waves on the joint or is it that you aren't able to make it invisable?
Don't give up.
Ricki Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Help! Drywall Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyb View Post
Yeah, I think you guys are right! We are sooo sick of sanding and I am sooo sick of dusting! Anyway, it seems to show mainly when the light is streaming in through the windows, (did I mention it was a basement)? So we were planning on putting shutters on the windows, SO we will keep them partially closed then we won't see the mess! When funds allow we will either get someone to fix them or get a PROFESSIONAL to do the knockdown technique.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Sounds like a plan...

Good Luck on the rest of the project.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-21-2008 at 06:29 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #8

Help! Drywall Ceiling

I tried the ceiling in this cabin before. I won't try it again. I'd gladly pay someone else to choke on the dust and sand that down, plus the mud was too thin so the paper ended up drooping some. Stinks that you've already tried so hard. Might try to use some harder mud (meduim/heavy weight) or maybe even spackling paste and cover it with that, and then sand till it's smooth. That's what I'd do if I had to do it over. Take a piece of the metal sanding tape/file with the grooves and get all the old stuff off if it's built up too thick (or some other very heavy sander)
wesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #9

Help! Drywall Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesc View Post
I tried the ceiling in this cabin before. I won't try it again. I'd gladly pay someone else to choke on the dust and sand that down, plus the mud was too thin so the paper ended up drooping some. Stinks that you've already tried so hard. Might try to use some harder mud (meduim/heavy weight) or maybe even spackling paste and cover it with that, and then sand till it's smooth. That's what I'd do if I had to do it over. Take a piece of the metal sanding tape/file with the grooves and get all the old stuff off if it's built up too thick (or some other very heavy sander)
Taping and compound are an acquirerd skill. Pro's don't choke on the dust. There really isn't too much if you do it correctly.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote