Help With Driveway Fence - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Help with driveway fence

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the planning stages of my fence and would like to put a gate across my driveway rather than putting a fence in the middle of the yard to close off the yard.

The driveway is about 11 feet across.
I have attached some photos of what it looks like and as you can see there is an egress window on the one corner so i'm not sure if a sliding gate would work there. I cannot do a double swing gate because of the way the driveway extends once you get past the corner of the house. I would like to attach the hinge side of the fence to the same corner as the chainlink fence (that is being replaced)

A single swing gate could work if I opened it towards the front of the house but I don't know if I want to do that as it would mean moving cars if I park next to the house.

So what I was starting to think of was a bi-fold style gate. Are these easy for the DIYer? Also if I went that route would there be anyway to secure it shut without having to drill a hole in the concrete for a pole to stick in (New driveway last year wasn't thinking about a gate at that point)?

I know I rambled a bit there but any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Help with driveway fence-camerazoom-20130413114522624.jpg   Help with driveway fence-camerazoom-20130413114535988.jpg   Help with driveway fence-camerazoom-20130413114605745.jpg  

Advertisement

dabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,506

Help with driveway fence

Are you sticking with a cyclone fence ?
If so, I would probably hinge the gate on the grass side. Probably go with an 8 foot gate with a 3 foot pedestrian gate hung off the end of it. I would talk to a real fence company so they build a beefier 8 footer to support the load.
Or you could look at hanging the pedestrian gate off the house structure and having the two gates meet.
Either way, the 8 foot gate would probably require the steel rod and hole in the drive to secure it. At least I've never seen another good way to secure them that doesn't become a toe stubber when the gate is open.

Advertisement

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Help with driveway fence

Guess I forgot to mention that it will be a wood fence. Probably 4 or 5 feet tall pickets, so a little heavier than chainlink but will use metal frame and just attach wood to it. Just to keep dog in.

I really don't want to drill a hole in the new concrete but that probably is my only option. Do you all think a locking wheel would be enough to keep it from moving?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,506

Help with driveway fence

No, I've seen those skid on dry pavement, with enough wind from the right direction. If the pavement is wet, Look out.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Help with driveway fence

Depending on YOUR skills: You can rent a concrete hole boring tool and bit (probably eight inch (8")from most rental places. This is not rocket science to use these, just use good common sense. Most reputable rental shops should offer you, upon request, instructions in the store as to how these are used. That said: I'd go with the wooden fence using four inch (4") steel post available from a local chain link fence company. They will have all the necessary brackets/hangers also. Drill right next to the house across from the current fence corner post for your post, filling with concrete. , the place the second post about four inches (4") from the current corner post which will give you room for concrete. The gap between the old corner post and your new post can be filled in later. Have the fence supply place quote you metal framing for two (2) swing gates. You will just have to decide which way you want them to swing, in or out. Attach a ripped 2 x 4 to the bottom of the top rail and the top of the bottom rail to attach the wooden pickets to these. I have made many an attractive gate to go over concrete driveways using this method. Errr--what is that mesh material laying in front of the window on the back of the house?
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

Help with driveway fence

That mesh is an egress window well.

I had a different plan in mind for my fence at the time otherwise I would have set the post in before the concrete was poured for the driveway.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #7

Help with driveway fence

Here is what I am thinking. Please let me know if this is not a good idea.

The red line would be aprox 8' across the driveway.
Green line 3'.

The driveway gate would span the 11' with a 3' pedestrian gate.

Fold the pedestrian gate (green) into the 8' (red) then fold open the 8' (red) towards the fence line.

I would put a wheel and a locking rod at the end of the 8' section.

Good idea? Possible problems?
Attached Images

Advertisement