Help! Don't Know Anything About Staining A Deck! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Don't know anything about staining a deck!

Hi All,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right subforum. My home was built 6 years ago and my wood deck is in desperate need of being restained. I'm strongly considering doing the job myself, but I have never stained a deck before.

1) Has anyone here ever stained their own deck? Is it a fairly simple process? I'm assuming I'll need to power wash the deck first.
2) Has anyone ever hired a contractor to do this project for them? I'd much rather hire a contractor but I don't even know if there are contractors that specialize in this service. Do you think it would be alot more expensive to hire a contractor?
3) What products/deck stains are best for this type of project? Do you know if contractors use a product that is better than what homeowners can buy? I want to make sure that a high quality stain is used so that I don't have to worry about this again any time soon.

I guess I just need to figure out what I am going to do. The summer is half over and I really need to get started on this project if I am going to need to start soon. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

wiredoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,484

we're using aspecto-coat,,, no financial interest, either

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredoncoffee View Post
Hi All,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right subforum. My home was built 6 years ago and my wood deck is in desperate need of being restained. I'm strongly considering doing the job myself, but I have never stained a deck before.

1) Has anyone here ever stained their own deck? Is it a fairly simple process? I'm assuming I'll need to power wash the deck first.
2) Has anyone ever hired a contractor to do this project for them? I'd much rather hire a contractor but I don't even know if there are contractors that specialize in this service. Do you think it would be alot more expensive to hire a contractor?
3) What products/deck stains are best for this type of project? Do you know if contractors use a product that is better than what homeowners can buy? I want to make sure that a high quality stain is used so that I don't have to worry about this again any time soon.

I guess I just need to figure out what I am going to do. The summer is half over and I really need to get started on this project if I am going to need to start soon. Thanks in advance!
In a stain or paint job, it's the prep work that can make or break a job. Depending on the deck's shape, you might need to sand, replace boards, power wash, etc. You need to determine a course of action first.
Try posting photos of the deck.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 07-24-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Yes, it would be a lot more expensive to hire a contractor. The money saved will be free tools you can use again and again.

It takes time, but it's pretty simple.
-Powerwash, spray cleaner with hand pump and brush in, wait, powerwash again.
-Let dry several days.
-Protect surroundings. Roll in stain. I prefer brushing. Use kneepads. Start top to bottom and don't let pool in an area.

I started with Olympic but thought it let a dry chaulky feel. Switched to Cabots austrailian oil and liked it. There are others.

You'll still have to redo it in a few years, but the second coat will protect and last longer.

Pick the color carefully. Darker colors absorb more heat. You can easily go from light to dark, but not the reverse.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote