Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |

HELP: Do I need a new window sill/stool?

The builders did not put any casing around our windows and we would like to put some up. The window ends of the sill (or stool) extends only 3" beyond the window. This is standard for the builder grade 2 1/4" window casing trim.

However, we really would like to put in a wider Craftsman style window casing that would extend beyond the existing window sill (stool). We could stand the sill to be flush with the casing, but that would require 2 3/4" case moulding (which does not exist as a standard size). Could we cut off the ends of the sill to be flush with the inside of the window? OR... could the wider casing just wrap around the shorter sill? Neither of these ideas follow the standard rules of trimming out a window.

So the question is... Is there a way to work around this problem without having to cut and install new window sills throughout the house?

What is the easiest solution?

helpwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #2

Well, the easiest solution would be to put up the 2 1/4" casing. But you don't want that.
If you want wider casing, remove the current stool and put in the correct one for the casing you want.
Any reason you didn't make this known to the builder, before the fact?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

We are not the original owners of the home. Also, the developer of the neighborhood only used builders grade for everything. BTW- I posted only on the 2 forums thinking we would expand our chances. Thx.
helpwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Man of many hats

I agree with Ron that the right way to do what you desire is to replace the stools to accomodate the wider width casing. If you have different size windows you could save a little by using the stools from the wider windows to make new stools for the narrow ones.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #5

It's your house and you should do it however you like - there is no right and wrong way to do your window casing.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote