Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with conversion of indoor wood stove

Hello everybody.

We have a "3 season" room that has a wood stove/heater. We never use it and would like to convert to gas. The previous owner/builder of the house says there is a gas line under the stove should we ever want to convert.

The heater sits on a tiled platform that is about 8" high and 3.5 x 3.5 feet. The wall behind it is the same, colorful tile and it goes up the wall ~9 feet, I'd say.

The vent for this goes up through the roof and extends ~6' or 7' above the roof. From what I understand, this is a Class A type vent and both takes exhaust out as well as brings air in for combustion. This is what we need to keep for whatever we put in. Houses here in Wisconsin are buttoned up too tight in the winter to be using up the oxygen.

I realize there are all-in-one stoves that can just be slid into place where the wood stove is and connected to the vent (and gas), but none of them appeal to us aesthetically.

Is it possible to build an attractive masonry box of some sort on this platform and up against the wall (similar to what a regular fireplace would look like only out from the wall), and then use one of those gas insert log units in it?

Is there a DIY kit of this type? Or a set of plans anywhere? Inspectors and codes are not part of the picture out here in the country, but I would want this to be as safe as if they were.

This is an exciting, but somewhat late in the game so to speak, idea for a Christmas present for my wife. She just loves that room, and something that pretty much looks like a fireplace, even if a little bit of a small one, and heats the room to be usable in the winter would be great. The room is ~15' x 20' x 12'.

Any help or guidance as to where to look, or if it's just to forget about it, would be most appreciated.

kjgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,786

There are plenty of fire place inserts available ---gas and wood--then you frame it in with studs and
tile or brick around it----my one concern is the size of the flue---gas stoves and fire places use a much smaller flue than a wood burner--

I have little experience here----If this does not get proper attention --I'll move this to HVAC for you if you wish-----Mike----(Welcome! New guy)

kjgarrison (11-26-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
There are plenty of fire place inserts available ---gas and wood--then you frame it in with studs and
tile or brick around it----my one concern is the size of the flue---gas stoves and fire places use a much smaller flue than a wood burner--

I have little experience here----If this does not get proper attention --I'll move this to HVAC for you if you wish-----Mike----(Welcome! New guy)
yes mike is right what is the flue size going through roof that will determine insert size and or if youcan use that flue...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
kjgarrison (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Looks like it is approximately 7" in diameter (OD)
I'll remeasure in the morning when I can see better.

I didn't realize a fireplace insert could be used without the protection of, well, a fireplace. If this flue thing works out, my only concern is whether I have enough creativity to frame it to WAF standards.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,332

don't sweat it these new style fire places and inserts are nice to work with and have easy instructions......along with all the help on this site.....make baby happy.....ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #6

Great! Thanks Ben.

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, some, many, or all of these propane fireplace inserts can be framed with wood and require no masonry or any other measures to make them safe, code compliant, and not risk insurability of my house. Right?

By code compliant I'm only speaking in general and not expecting anyone to have specific knowledge of codes where I live.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

By code compliant I'm only speaking in general and not expecting anyone to have specific knowledge of codes where I live.
This is why you call your building department and ask them what the code is where you live.
kjgarrison (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

how about a pellet stove?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
how about a pellet stove?
It's not just to heat the room so that it can be enjoyed year round. It's to create a mood; viewing the fire in the foreground and the lake in the background. That and emergency heat in case of a power outage.

If this doesn't work out it'll be a gas heater. Some of them look somewhat fireplace-like. Simpler, for sure.

Last edited by kjgarrison; 11-26-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
This is why you call your building department and ask them what the code is where you live.
Thanks.

And I intend to do just that if the expertise here suggests that such a "custom" gas fireplace might be doable and SAFE if done properly.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

A Class A chimney is a double wall steel pipe. It's probably 6" ID (the most common size).

Most gas inserts/fireplaces are "direct vent" and need a vent instead of a chimney. They have two tube -- one that brings in fresh air, and one that takes out the exhaust. It's not the same thing as Class A. Your easiest solution might be to remove the stovepipe inside, cap the part where it goes through the ceiling, and put a vent through the wall.

Here's a website with an illustration:

http://eehpatio.com/secondary%20pgs/DirectVent.html

Napoleon makes some nice looking gas fireplace inserts. They have easy to understand manuals, too:
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Fi...ce_direct.html

"Zero Clearance" means you can frame up to it and apply whatever kind of finish you want. Not all gas burning things are zero clearance. If I was going to get a gas fireplace, I'd want one of those Regency inserts that burns flame off glass beads:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Products...ces/HZ30E.aspx

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote