Help Building A Shed With A Small Budget - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help building a shed with a small budget

Hello I'm looking for some advice on building a shed either from a kit or raw material. First off a bit about myself, I have done a fair amount of home improvement and construction but would not consider myself very experienced. I am an need of a shed (similar to http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Org...atalogId=10053 ) I realize that $800 is not a whole lot of money but unfortunately I do not have a lot to spare at this point. My question is would it be worth it to buy a book of plans/blueprints ( <p> something similar to these http://dff8b9igkls1d5nii-jlr0-j2z.hop.clickbank.net/Or any other better plans someone may have experience with? Thank you all

Advertisement

Last edited by AaronL; 05-02-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Bad Link?
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 518

The kits usually work out to be cheaper than stick building. They are designed to minimize waste and usually come with the plan included.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I am in the same boat. I have been looking on craigslist and found a couple but from what I read, the kits are much easier. Let me know how it goes.
Jorgie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The kits are generally made with 2x3's and OSB. The 2x3's are 18"-24" oncenter. They minimize materials in their construction. Properly maintained, they will last a long time. They will go up faster then a stick built shed and if you can follow directions and have a modicum of skill, should be be solid.
To see how much ,if any, you'll save, do a material list and compare the cost.
Before you put it up, check the local codes for setbacks from the property line.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 05-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Reclaimed materials are a nice way to go. Check Craigslist and local papers in your area.

Post an add in Craigslist offering to remove old sheds and decks for free if you can salvage the lumber.

Be sure and inspect said structure well before agreeing to remove it. The first one I looked at had a nice oak tree growing from the middle!

To bad the housing boom is now bust. Production builders were throwing away entire houses rather than take the time to reclaim extra pennies. One of customers built a beautiful shed with materials we threw away every week.

Ask at your local DIY store if they have plans for the stick built versions. My lumber store gave me a nice set for free, with the intent that I buy their trusses.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote