Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

Help building a partial wall...

This wall is going to be basically only to support cabinets.

I have to reframe this wall that connects the living room and kitchen. It's going to have a bar top on the lower portion, and the upper portion will have cabinets hanging from it.

The left side of the wall will be a full wall to a width of approximately 12" to serve as a plumbing chase for the upstairs bathroom. On the right side, the upper wall will be only about 20" tall to support the upper cabinets. It will be attached to the full wall on the left, and it will be floating on the right side.

What's the best way to construct the upper portion so that it will support the weight of the cabinets? Should I use some kind of hardware other than nails?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
DIY staff

If I have the picture in my head---you have a knee wall below to support a counter top---attached only at one end----

Then above--a hanging short wall section---once again attached to the wall only on one end----

The big deal on the upper end is the loose,unattached end--it can get out of plumb easily when you hang cabinets on the face of the partition.

Is the cieling opened yet? If there is a way to attach a 2x4 to the ceiling joists ,on the loose end, so you have a rigid end piece----then build the little upper section--

Slide the section up between the wall and your stiff new 2x4 --screw the section to the ceiling joists and the wall/2x4 stiffener----that would be strong and fast.

How's that for 5 A.M. without any coffee

Old 02-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Sounds like you have it pictured right. I was planning on stiffening the loose end both top and bottom the way you suggested.

When I assemble the upper portion should I use something other than nails to make sure it stays together?

Should I use something 1/4"x 3-1/2" lags to attach the top plate to the ceiling?

(sorry to make you track down the thread. I've been working days and nights and my brains are fried too. Should have provided a link.)
Old 02-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

You could use some long timberlocks (lags) into the framing there. It would also be nice if the end stud on that upper section could extend up through the ceiling as far as possible. Lind of the reverse of how we tie in knee walls through the floor usually.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
You could use some long timberlocks (lags) into the framing there. It would also be nice if the end stud on that upper section could extend up through the ceiling as far as possible. Lind of the reverse of how we tie in knee walls through the floor usually.
I've got 2x12 floor joists, so I can run that end stud all the way to the subfloor. It's under a cast iron tub too, so I may even be able to partially secure the top to the subfloor from below.

If I frame this floating partition with nails, do I have to worry about them pulling apart, or should I use some kind of screws?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've got 2x12 floor joists, so I can run that end stud all the way to the subfloor. It's under a cast iron tub too, so I may even be able to partially secure the top to the subfloor from below.

If I frame this floating partition with nails, do I have to worry about them pulling apart, or should I use some kind of screws?

In general nails work best at the shear and screws for pull out but get structural screws and they're the best of both worlds
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
In general nails work best at the shear and screws for pull out but get structural screws and they're the best of both worlds
Is there anything made by GRK that would work? I used their stuff to hang the cabinets on the other side of the room and I was impressed with them.

Maybe these : http://www.grkfasteners.com/index.php/en/products/rss

?

Last edited by Alan; 02-08-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

those grk are the screws to use. for volume you should be able to use 2 1/2" or 3" screws # 8 or #9 and not need the bolts. just add screws at every joist- 16" etc...

the screws are needed on the hanging wall portion only imo, and even the 3 1/8" trim screws would work as they are the size of a normal nail but with a smaller head.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
Alan (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
those grk are the screws to use. for volume you should be able to use 2 1/2" or 3" screws # 8 or #9 and not need the bolts. just add screws at every joist- 16" etc...

the screws are needed on the hanging wall portion only imo, and even the 3 1/8" trim screws would work as they are the size of a normal nail but with a smaller head.
Thank you